Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Wage Increase 2024

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

More cafes are opening.

There have never been as many places selling coffee.

One reason is the high gross margins.

In my village there are at least five cafes, plus other food outlets.

Go into a motorway service station, make your own tea, pay 2.60 or more, huge profits being made.

Starter job? Min wage is paid far more than just to starter jobs. I worked for a small restaurant who paid their sous chef the same as me. Both of us were barely above the old minimum and significantly below the current.

The only pay rise either of us were getting would have been the minimum wage increase. I left for a job where I negotiated a much more reasonable wage. I can tell you neither of us were new to the industry. I had 3 years exp starting and they had 24…

we got all the sob stories about not making any money etc etc. I stuck around despite the wage because it was good experience to be fair and I could stomach the shite pay for a while anyway. But I can tell you without a doubt that the sous chef is for as long as they are there work for min wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Race to the bottom comes to mind when the whole thing emplodes

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So why do they stay?

For chefs, there are many options.

You’d have to ask them.

Also depends where you live. There’s also many badly run kitchens. I’ve worked in places and been in and out in two weeks it’s that bad.

No amount of money is worth your reputation and future prospects. If you work in a crap hotel/restaurant for a while just because the money is really nice it can really affect your future job chances.

I got the money I am on at the minute because of the reputation of the restaurant I worked in prior to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Restaurants Association of Ireland stated more places are closing than opening.

You have absolutely no idea what a business is making behind the scenes. Looking at the prices is not an indication of profitability.

The fact that so many are closing and the absolute stress we hear from businesses owners is a bellwether of what's happening.

Advertisement