Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chillies 2024

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Jayz some collection

How do you find the superhots go in our climate? Know they can be a bitch to germinate (hence you planting all 10 of the seeds I imagine), even my habanadas didn’t germinate this year - chocolate habs were the same last year, and that’s with scarification, heated propagator etc. only ones out of 15 varieties that didn’t germinate last year

My first year was last year. My fish pepper did really well but nothing else as far as I know. Labels rubbed off.

Got them from Karl last year.

Trying this crowd in Holland this year. A lot cheaper. First batch germinated well only for the slugs. I saved 5 plants which I have in the propagator under light

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Chillies coming along well enough...I am thinking of getting them into their main big pots and maybe plant directly into the soil in the polytunnel....might be still a bit cold but the tunnel can reach 30degs no problme if we get any sun at all. (hit 35 this week with the windows closed)

Might still be a bit too cold at night though, although I could cover them inside the tunnel at night. I feel they are getting too big for the little pots they are in.

Question what size pots do you use I have a load of 9.5 litre ones are they too small?

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

They are nice !

Mine are not so far along. They are tiny in comparison. I did them at the end of Jam but stil…

• Advertisement

Looking good!

I would probably opt for the pots, the soil might not be as warm?

Night time is the problem. It's still very cold , even in the tunnel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Stephen_Maturin , I’ve just started reading Master and Commander so you can imagine how your username caught my eye ( “My good sir”…I am having to resist talking to the family like the two boys in the books ) Anyway my chillis seem to be going well .Majority of seeds kindly donated by Karl Butler from FB Irish Chilli Growers group as I do a lot of horticulture in my secondary school .Fortunately they are also paying for most of the heat and light as this chilli business seems to be energy intensive! Anyway they are at home with me for the fortnights Easter hols .The Mrs will be glad to get her windowsills back .I put some outdoors in a plastic box in direct Sun for an hour or two yesterday .Depressingly it was 23 degrees about five warmer than indoors .Curse you Irish government not putting a cap on energy costs !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Varieties include red , orange and yellow Habanero ,Rawat Thai Chilli (hot!) , Romanian Giallo ( yellow ) Bhut Jolokia , Buena Mulata , Prairie Fire , Hungarian Yellow , Purple fLash and tons of Cayenne and Padron etc

Lady Birds doing a great job on one of my chillies….over all they coming grand, weather obvioulsy slowed them down a bit over the past few weeks. Hopfully the bit sunshine we will get over the nxt week and a change in the weather will bring them on better

• Advertisement

Yeah I have just over half in in the beds in the polytunnel…Ill see how they get on there, I think I read somewhere that in pots they might put more energy into the fruit if they are in pots but we will see

Ill be interested to see how you get on. Ive about 30 coming up in small pots. will transfer into bigger ones as they progress. planted 48 tomatoes into beds yesterday in the tunnel. Mine is full with leeks,celery, onions and garlic.

A drink with you sir! My hearty congratulations, I wish you good health and a fair wind on what I can promise is the most marvellous journey. Handsomely now with the chillies!

When you get onto the second book stick with it - it’s very different from all of the other entries and some people (damn’d cowards and scrubs all if you ask me) give up because of that. Persevere and you’ll be rewarded with one of the finest series of novels in English (it really is hard not to start talking like the lads haha, I finished them years ago and it comes back as easy as kiss my hand…okay that’s enough! 😂)

Haha anyway back to the chillies

My handful have gone well oversize for their little starter pots - have been mad busy with work and travel and fun to get around to repotting them (always find that particular task a bit of a chore) but am determined to get them into their next pots this evening

They’re generally looking good, I’m a little bit concerned about the Serrano though it’s looking a bit leggy compared to the others (middle back) and not as lush in foliage…not sure why as they all get the same amount of light. Anyway I’m sure moving to a bigger pot will do them all the world of good

Advertisement