Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HRM Watch Recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

Not the same watch, but I'm using the Epix 2. I went from 5 days of battery life to 16 days battery life (both without using the watch to record a run or ride etc.), by setting night mode for the watch, and by turning on the battery saver, meaning the display is only on when I look at the screen.

As regards the smart features, I get text/WhatsApp/call notifications, everything else is turned off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Sounds like I'll have to engage a technician to set up the watch, or else get my 12 year old grandson to have a gander 🤭

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just as a follow up on my initial review on the Wahoo Rival.

• Battery was at 22% after 10 days, this was with HR on constantly, broadcasting constantly (now using as my HR for the Headset unit)
    • GPS is slow to pick up, have tried it around work just to see, way slower than just using your phone for Strava, but its fine once it locks on, when you account for boot up time, it's still probably fractionally slower than the headset unit
    • HR seems broadly OK, not great if the watch slips to your wrist bone but seems in line with how it feels
    • Sleep analysis, not interested in it but it is broadly in line with what I expect eg, when I wake up peacefully, it will show I had shifted into light sleep, woke up mid dream and thats what it siad I was dong at the time
    • I don't have smart alerts on, don't remember knocking them off but they aren't coming through anymore but I could have done that in frustration and forgotten, not a fan of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Smart alerts e.g. WhatsApp messages etc? I think that only works if you're synced with the Elemnt app and it's open and running in the background on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

The smart alerts thing might be phone specific and probably does rely on the respective app being active. I never get WhatsApp messages on the Garmin watch - unless it's recording an activity at the tome. SMS and calls on the other hand do come through (same applies to the Edge). The wife on the other hand does get everything through to her watch (a Withings). TBH it doesn't bother me that much. Less distraction and I've told them if they REALLY need to get my attention on the bike, either send an SMS or call

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I suspected as much, I have it open most of the time but the alerts have ceased, I didn't want them anyway and I am not looking to try and reactivate them.

My vivoactive got everything, never turned it off, really should have. If its an emergency, I will answer my phone, if safe to do so. If its not safe to do so, I don't want my watch causing a distraction.

Advertisement