Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used Enyaq 60/80 OR ID4

Options
  • 29-12-2023 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I am in the market for a second hand EV for the arrival of twins in Feb 24. I have narrowed it down to either of the following:

• Enyaq 60
    • Enyaq 80
    • ID4

My budget is up to €40k but if I could get it for less and free up some money for solar, that would be great.

I'm stuck at a crossroads between the two as I've heard about nightmare software issues with the ID4 and blander interior and also not as nice to drive in comparison to the Enyaq. In addition, the Enyaq doesn't seem to be suffering from the recent EV depreciation to the same extent as the ID4.

Driving will be mainly city with 3 or 4 yearly return trips from Galway > Beara, West Cork and 5 or 6 yearly trips from Galway > Macroom, Cork.

Our main requirements are:

• Safety
    • Good boot space
    • Ease of putting and removing children from baby seats
    • Reliability
    • Reversing camera

Would be grateful to hear some feedback and thoughts from others on this to help us pick the right car. Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Enyaq 80 in sportline spec for the win here if you can find one within your budget. ID.4’s much cheaper at the moment though as way more of them for sale and not selling. Some low spec run out ID.4 models available new for €42K recently if you weren’t aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Enyaq all day long! Smaller battery is fine if only needing to do long journeys once a month or so. Big batteries are obviously a convenience, but usually the cost difference exceeds the benefit.

You do not indicate if you have other kids, or may have other kids rapidly after the twins....isofixes can be a consideration, none of these have 3 iso fixes (if you disregard a front seat isofix, as many do).

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭pad199207

Enyaq for interior or a decent spec ID 4 for exterior

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

80 Sportline would be my choice but they have held their value a lot more than the ID4 so not many in the range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭philboy

Interesting point about the lack of a 3rd Isofix point in the rear of the car. We have no other kids and the twins will likely be our only children so I think we will be fine with this.

I'd be more interested in the interior; for me and my wife, it's mainly about safety, practicality and comfort.

Both the cars listed are stunning to be fair.

Would love to get the 80, but if I can get good value on a 60 and use the money elsewhere for a charger install and solar, it may be better for our situation.

With perhaps a trip once a month to Cork at most, is the extra price on an 80 worth it for our situation? We will need to pull over every 60-90mins anyways with the twins somwe could charge the car then.

On the 22 or 23 base models of the 60 and 80, do you know if the 80 comes with extra features as standard in Ireland? I can't seem to find this out.

Apply for your charger today. Now.

It’s an online process and you don’t need an EV. It’s currently €600 grant but if you apply on 1/1/24, it drops to €300.

You should get a charger supplied and fitted for under €600.

Thanks for the feedback on the charger. We only recently decided to go fully electric and I'm not really a huge car person tbh. I normally research everything in depth but I'm pretty clueless on the chargers since we hadn't really considered electric until recently.

If you were going to go with an Enyaq and then probably add a second car of probably a 2017 Leaf (approx €10k) for local driving. Range not an issue. What kind of charger would you recommend?

Are there any decent starter guides on them so I can get up to speed?

Your advice is greatly appreciated, cheers!

They are all glorified outdoor sockets so don’t get too hung up on fancy details.

Considering you plan on installing solar then Zappi, OHME or wallbox to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭crl84

As Gumbo says, apply for the charger grant tonight. It is usually processed within a matter of hours and then you have 6 months to actually get the thing installed and submit the installation cert.

Just pick Zappi or any random make on the list when filling out the form, you can install any other approved make when the time actually comes, it doesn't need to be the one you picked when originally applying.

If you ultimately decide not to get an EV, then it just lapses after the 6 months if you haven't submitted the cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Just apply for the grant today, save yourself 300 euros.

Thanks all for the advice. Grant application completed so an extra €300 saved thankfully.

From memory a 2022 - 2023 80 has chrome window surround trims and chrome roof rails as standard that the 60 doesn’t have. The 80 also has 125kW DC charging speed where the 60 has maybe 100kW DC charging. This DC charge rate can probably be upgraded with a software update.

Thanks Joe. Will look into this a bit more today and try and get some more detail on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Don’t get a leaf. They have a non European charging protocol “CHADEMO” that is not supported any more. You’ll never be able to fast charge it

2022 brochure available on the link below. Should cover most 22 / 23 models sold here in terms of spec. 60 models often have more options added, 80 buyers couldn’t add much options as they would go over the SEAI €60K limit and lose out on the €5K grant. Don’t underestimate how bad public charging is here in your decision between a 60 and an 80. List prices crept upward several times from launch to late 23. https://www.msl.ie/assets/1/product-brochures/skoda/enyaq-my23_june22_pg.pdf

Than Joe, interesting point regarding the €60k ceiling to avail of the grant. I'll make a list of what we definitely need and would like and bear that in mind when comparing cars.

I thought the 60 may be enough for us. I'll take a look at the charging network from Galway-Cork which will be our main route. Surely the network will only improve over time or am I being overly optimistic 😂😂😂

Network has progressed a lot but the rate of EV ownership has also increased substantially diluting the improvements. PHEV drivers also utilising public charge points in greater numbers. Unlikely to change in the short term, hence it’s nice to have the comfort of a bigger battery for motorway journeys. Might future proof the car a little too when the battery degrades as it gets older.

Chargin network has improved but honestly if your using the network 4 times a year it's irrelevant- paying 1000s extra for a bigger battery is pure luxury/premium, if your interest is in securing value for money then the smaller battery is fine.

we have the smaller battery Y, it's a tad annoying not to be able to do coast to coast return, but it's a 7 minute stop we would probably take 50% of the time anyway - hardly worth 1000s of euros to avoid. Big battery for frequent long journeys only would be my take. Diverting the 1000s into solar for a house would be smarter - an actual profitable investment

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Enyaq and id4 don't even look like competitors when you look at the interiors, the Skoda is much nicer. But at this very moment, for your budget, an id4 is the best bet. Prices on Enyaq haven't corrected yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

Hard to beat this for value for money and it will meet your requirements - though software bugs might be a pain.

Škoda offering 6500 discount on stock cars but once they permanently drop prices the used cars will follow

On paper your comments make perfect sense but with your Tesla Model Y you have the convenience of a full SC network as well as all other public charge points. A Model Y is also more efficient than an Enyaq/ID.4 particularly at Motorway speeds. If I’d a choice of say a pano roof and upgrade wheels etc. over a bigger battery, I’d take the bigger battery.

It’s a great price for effectively a brand new 77kWh EV. Downside is the miserable “Life” spec doesn’t even include a rear view camera. 174bhp in such a heavy car wouldn’t be ideal either. Used ID.4’s are mainly €3K+ cheaper than similar Enyaqs in terms of advertised/asking prices.

Thanks for the feedback, these were my initial thoughts too. A smaller battery as we:

1. Rarely do long journeys.
    2. Need to stop every 90mins with the babies. At least one stop with toddlers.
    3. Invest savings into solar.

Joe's point about battery degradation is interesting. We would hope to hold onto the car for 5-6 years and with 10-12k Kms per year of mainly city driving, would it be degrading that much. To reduce battery degradation, I believe it's important to not be charging to 100% and letting it go below 20% that often. Is this true?

It's an expensive time with twins so extra cash for the solar and battery would be nice. Both PV solar and battery charger grants applied for last night and approved.

We are going to test drive both the ID4 and Enyaq this week. From our research, we are leaning towards the Enyaq due to the extra space.

If we go Enyaq, the 60 is looking like it will be fine for us for our needs over the next 5 years. We really don't mind stopping to charge once if needed.

Do you know if most of the software issues that were in the 2021 model have been resolved for this 2023 model?

Is there a date when they will permanently drop prices on their stock cars? Twins aren't arriving till end of Feb so am I better off holding out. We won't be going many places for the first while so realistically we coul probably hold out till April.

On this point Joe, I'd fully agree as I'd be more practical so if a larger battery came up at a good price, I couldn't care less about larger wheels or pano roof.

I suppose it's a matter of which we really like after we test drive and what kind of deal we can grab.

A reverse camera is a deal breaker for us too. It's one of our non negotiables.

Cheers all!

Future battery degradation on these cars requires a crystal ball of sorts as they’re not around that long and not many have covered big miles. In simple terms degradation is dependent on 2 main factors; no. of battery cycles, amount of DC charging over its life. On a used car these will be unknowns but the smaller the battery, the more likely it will have had a hard life. Degradation is usually most severe in the first 12-18 months and then settles down. Other recommendations are to keep the battery between 20% and 80% as much as possible and to not leave it sitting around at 100% for days. If you’re keen on saving money, consider buying an ID.4 instead of an Enyaq.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d imagine Enyaq’s will be under €30k before April. You’d be better off waiting as long as possible especially in this market

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement

This seems like a decent enough price on an Enyaq 60. It has quite a few extras also (Heated Steering Wheel,front & rear parking sensors with rear view camera, Tinted rear windows, wireless charging pad, adaptive cruise control plus more)

It's listed for €34k from a dealer who have a location in Galway. What realistically could I offer/get it for without being laughed out the door?

https://www.carsireland.ie/3391528

Advertisement