Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

Typical American singular view of the world. All American shows

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Very American centred and quite varied.

I didn't read it fully, just checked the list, but I wonder what criteria they used for choosing the shows.

The American bias aside, there are current affairs programmes, cartoons, comedies, dramas, fantasy, documentaries, playhouse. The criteria used for the list makes it too bloated and difficult to compare, imo.

And that's before getting to what is in it and what isn't, which inevitably boils down to personal preference. Bojack Horseman but no Rick and Morty? Community but no Scrubs? No Always Sunny or Malcolm in the Middle?

(I did just scroll through the list so I may have missed them)

And a pet peeve of mine, the American obsession with SNL...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 storydove

It is an odd US list, a few from reality tv, a quiz show, a british show, a documentary, a mixture of fiction genres. I have watched about a dozen of those listed in their entirety, my fave is the documentary on the American Civil War. The creator Ken Burns also did an amazing one on the Vietnam War, that should have been included. Another omission for me is the reboot of Battlestar Galactica. I guess I would have preferred a top ten or twenty in different genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I watched the People Versus OJ Simpson in its entirety and there is no way on Earth I'd rate it in among the greatest shows of this decade never mind of all time. No surprise that its so US centric but there are some bizarre choices there not to mention omissions.

No Miami Vice.

No Monty Pythons Flying Circus or Fawlty Towers. Both were successful Stateside so no excuse for unfamiliarity.

STTNG over the original Star Trek series.

Post edited by Hangdogroad on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

US list and list didn't seem to be arranged on merit

The great european crime dramas left out and probably more also

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What a stupid list, no Sons of Anarachy but Fleabag and no other UK shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Mad Men no 2, Sex and the City no 6, lol

Girls, Fleabag, I may Destroy You, The Leftovers, that list is full of garbage choices.

Those shows wouldnt even make the top 50 of their genres.

Civil War is being rerun on PSC atm. Yes his Vietnam War doc should be also have been included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Rawr

Love both of those documentaries. I’ll sometimes run one in the background while I’m working. The narration is just so well done.

Alas, yea, that list is a bit all over the place. They at least mixed in very popular shows from previous decades, bit I’m pretty certain some members of this Top 100 *of all time* will be forgotten in a couple short years. It’s Variety though, and they’re not always a particularly impartial source when it comes to reviews or lists like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭nachouser

We created a list of The 100 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time and you won't believe what happened next!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

It's a fine show but Sons of Anarchy has no business being on such a list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

I had a quick flick through. It doesn't sound like. A serious list.

The OJ doc would be a fair inclusion - that's one of the best doc series I've ever seen. The Cuba gooding jr one was boring. It looked nice, strong cast, dialogue was strong. But jesus it was dull.

No better call Saul

Probably left it out cos BB was in

Just a mixed bag of a list probably targetted at their readers or something

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭thegame983

List is a bit silly. You can't really compare shows like Jeopardy to the X files.

But The Shield is on there so it's not a total failure.

When the US says the "world" sometimes they mean just the US😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Clearly The Wire should have been No 1. I Love Lucy ? Please. . Narcos is a notable absentee, as is Better Call Saul. Poor list overall.

I can never decide the wire or sopranos 😁

Probably clear 1-2 anyhow

Mad Men was a very good show but I wouldnt put it above the Wire.

Ya madmen was v good

I do rewatch the sopranos and wire

Maybe the wire gets top spot for the scope

Dealt with everything from 10-dollar addicts to politics

No Justified is there ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement