Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First upgrade in years...Help Appreciated!

Options
  • 28-12-2023 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking at making a purchase ASAP to upgrade my system. Here's what I'm looking at to pull the trigger on

Back in 2018 I used Overclockers.co.uk it was quick and easy. I haven't bought from them since and I see that at purchase it warns "PLEASE NOTE: Orders shipped outside of the UK do not include sales tax and additional fees may be charged by your region's customs" so they exlude VAT from their price (GRAND TOTAL

£1,154.16 excl. VAT)I'm guessing that would be added Irish side?

Any other websites you would suggest I use or just got with OcUK?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The 4070 Supers are out in January, it may be worth waiting for them if they supplant the other models.

And yes, you'll be charged VAT when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Cheers for the input. Worthwhile sticking with OcUK?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Coyler

Not 100% sure but my gut is telling me to avoid OcUK and other UK sites. The only exception is Amazon. Would appreciate any update on that status but I'm currently aware that you will be hit for VAT and customs charges which make it very expensive. If you are wedded to OcUK or don't want to use Amazon, you can use their sister site Caseking. Other option in Germany that are used here is Computer Universe. You can also use Geizhals.de or GPUtracker to find the best price possible but be aware that some German site won't deliver to Ireland and you have to use Mailbox.de. There is also Hagglezon where you can search all the European Amazon sites for the best price but be aware that only the UK one offers the free postage.

Worth considering also if you have to return any parts but while Amazon is horrible to it's suppliers they do offer the best returns policy and quite fast especially if you get them to refund to a Amazon gift card. The others are fine but the process is usually a lot longer so if urgency is important I'd factor that in. On top of that you might be offered free or discounted Prime membership which will really speed up delivery for almost zero downside to you.

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en

https://www.gputracker.eu/en

https://www.hagglezon.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

It's only VAT you will get hit for as there is no duty on PC parts, though you might get charged a handling fee by the carrier for dealing with the VAT. Most of the UK sites won't deliver here at all and you really don't want to use a remailer with them (even if you find one that would let you) as they will charge you UK VAT and then unless you are very lucky you will be charged Irish VAT on top when it enters the country. As I understand OcUK will deliver here and can do it without charging you UK VAT but you want to make absolutely certain you are not paying UK VAT.

Amazon UK has no surprises (except when they refund the VAT months later after a packages slips by customs) but the prices are generally worse than Amazon Germany where I think all you have to watch out for is shipping and if you are buying anything with a power cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

NVIDIA should be releasing refreshed GPUs at CES next week.

That will lower prices of 4070 and/or give more performance for the same price.

HOLD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I just did a new build before Christmas, very similar spec to the parts on your list. I ended up buying everything (except the PSU) from Casekings.de. They had the best stock of parts and no concerns about possible extra vat or duties. I did look at Overclockers but was not willing to place a large order without knowing exactly how much it would end up costing me. Amazon.co.uk did not have stock of half the parts I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭andy1249

Dont buy from the UK , there will be 23% VAT added and an outrageous customs handling fee charge for non EU products. IT will be around 190 euro.

I upgraded recently , got all my parts via Amazon.de , all the parts on your list are available from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Oh, and to add to this: 7800X3D is ~400eur now.

Makes no sense to pay 365eur for a 7700 when the vastly superior CPU is so close in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Luna84

Advertisement