Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did a Lot of Channels Change Frequency Lately?

Options
  • 26-12-2023 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭

I seem to have lost a lot of Dave/DMAX/Quest/Quest Red type channels on my box, a couple like Dave Ja Vu still there and all the BBCs and ITVs/C4 are perfect so dont think the dish shifted.

Tried to retune a few there but they're not showing up when I scan either, its a bit strange tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Sounds odd as Dave and Dave ja vu are on the same TP

Check here for tuning info. https://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

TIP: selecting SORT BY FREQ will bring recent changes to the top marked in red. None will show at the moment as there is a ban on making changes for a few weeks around Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thanks Gerry, yeah cant figure it out, will have to leave it for now aswell seeing as a red warning storm is just starting. I swear every time I go to fix a dish the weather goes mad.

A thought just hit me (a rare occurrence 😄) since there's different versions of some channels perhaps you are missing some high-band TPs. If so it could be either the box or LNB at fault. Easiest thing to do would be borrow a known working box. If it works then the LNB/dish is OK.

Banging my head off this all day but just noticed there that all the channels that suddenly disappeared are H and all the ones I still have are V, or the vast majority of them anyway. Is that a symptom of something or do I just need to go out with the signal meter and realign the dish a bit?

Googling it I came across this thread with the same issue:

He changed his LNB, wonder if that was the fix? He seemed to have a lot of other issues aswell though...

Might try moving the cable to one of the other outlets on the LNB when the weather calms down a bit. Its hardly the cable if Im still getting some channels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It can be the cable. The selection of the H and V is done by a voltage sent along the cable. A faulty cable may not be passing the voltage. Corrosion is your enemy.

Damn looking likely as an LNB fault:

The H channels in my transponder list look dead, they just sit there at 45% signal 10% quality greyed out, no movement, a working channel is flickering up and down 80-90% intensity 50-70% quality constantly moving...

Anything I can try on the box in the meantime in settings or should I just try and find an open satellite shop tomorrow?

Also sorry for all the noob questions but can you just turn off the power and swap in the new LNB? Nn retuning or anything like that?

Yeah feck it, beside the sea so this will be their 4th cable changeout in the last few years, thats usually the fix that works but thats after everything stops working all together, massive pain in the ass of a job aswell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is only the last few cms of cable that is effected plus the F connector. Clean up of the screw threads is a good idea.

I just noticed that was your thread I linked to, the LNB was the issue there yeah? I just found a spare LNB I ordered from satellite.ie 2 years ago the last time we had these issues, might just give that a go tomorrow and see.

• Advertisement

The only thing I would add is again, if you can borrow another box to confirm if it is the box or LNB before going to the trouble of changing it.

Delete

Sorry for the stupid question but can I grab my box from Limerick and plug it in up in Galway and just have it work for a quick testdo you think? Or will it need rescanning?

Also does this LNB skew angle of -24 sound right for the shown location?

The box wont need a rescan if its working now. If you do need to change the LNB take care not to move the dish. There is usually just one screw on the clamp that holds the LNB to the dish arm. The LNB might be at a slight angle so the wires don't point exactly down towards the ground. Try to copy that angle.

Well the wind and rain finally stopped and I got up there, I think I found the issue:

Swapped in the new LNB and it was an instant fix, no readjustment needed, 12 years of service from that dish and lnb, cant complain, installed them right after the Saorview switchover. Thanks everybody.

Thanks for the feedback Thargor. It's always helpful for others to see a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Glad you got sorted out

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 20,545 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It is always good for people to know their signal readings. If someone knew that they normally have 95% on their strongest BBC, then when they lost other channels they could see that BBC is only e.g. 55%, but of course still a perfect picture. That would be an alert to a problem with their own set up, rather than broadcasters having done some change.

Advertisement