Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite channels missing

Options
  • 03-02-2018 11:45pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My setup has developed a fault. Certain channels have 'No signal' but others have a good signal.

BBC 1 London - gone but BBC2 HD - there with good signal. Now looking at the ones missing they all appear to be H polarisation and those there are V polarisation.

I have a quad LNB feeding the four cables to a diplexer box to add Saorview to the cable. Now Saorview is OK, but is it the LNB as the problem or could the diplexer? I suspect the LNB. All four outputs are effected. The setup is about 8 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I would suspect the LNB also, any cracks on the LNB feedhorn cover? Cheap enough to replace in any case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I will replace the LNB and see if that fixes it. Was up the ladder but could not see anything wrong. It is the same on three different receivers, so the LNB is the only common item, apart from the diplexer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Replaced the LNB and al was good again - or at least on two TVs. One TV has a Humax Foxsat HDR that now works as it should. TV2 has another Humax that also works as it should.

Third TV is a Samsung with Freesat sat receiver that has a curious problem. It can retune Freesat no problem. It receives most of the channels (all BBC and most others). However, it cannot receive Sky News (Freesat 202) and gets no signal, but I can get France 24 and Al Jazair.

The signal info for Sky News is:

Freq 12207
    Service ID 1260
    Multiplex TSID 07ea ONID 0002
    Freesat (ID003b)

Now this is one of several channels that is not being received, but Freesat 200, 201, 203, and 205 are all good. What is different about Sky News?

By the way, the old LNB had a small whole in the plastic cover and had water in it. The cover just disintegrated on touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

you dont say make of freesat receiver with the samsung tv, one time sky news was notpart of fresat and could only be got in non freesat mode, it might be an idea to reset the freesat box and start again. or check for a software update.

swoofer wrote: »
    you dont say make of freesat receiver with the samsung tv, one time sky news was notpart of fresat and could only be got in non freesat mode, it might be an idea to reset the freesat box and start again. or check for a software update.

No, the Sky News is Freesat - channel 202. I only use Freesat - not non-Freesat FTA services.

I used to get it on that TV, and it is not just Sky News that is missing - I am missing Challenge and Challenge +1, among others. I suspect that it is hi-band channels that are missing, but since it is only on that TV, it must be either cable or TV, and more likely TV.

Is Sky News on Hi-band?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Challenge and +1 11836 H DVB-S QPSK 27500 5/6 (this TP also carries RTÉ Radio)
    Challenge Irl 11934 V DVB-S QPSK 27500 5/6
    Sky News FTA 12207 V DVB-S QPSK 27500 5/6 (this TP also carries Pick &+1)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

I have the same problem on my LG UH650v tv. It gets all HD stations except BBC4. also missing are a lot of SD channels such as ITV+1 (112). Another problem on the set is if its turned on its own no satellite signal is received but if I turn any other box in the house which share the quad LNB the TV signal works. all other TV's and boxes on same connection get all stations
    On another problem which just has come to light is that I bought a new Humax 1100s HDR and it wont work via a HDMI cable to the LG650v 4 K TV. The box puts out a 1.4 signal and the set is either a 2.0 or 2.2 HDMI and wont make a ''handshake'' connection. I have spoken to both Humax and LG and each say that it is a known problem but its the the others fault. Has anyone else had this fault

A bit more on this. One cable works fine but not the other one so its up the ladder again. I will swap the cables at the LNB and see what happens.

Swapped the LNB cables and no difference.

Unfortunately, all the connectors are a bit corroded and hard to shift. The only possibility not cable related is the duplexer. That is difficult to deal with as it is next to the dish and hard to get at.

I might try and bypass it to see if that finds the fault. I cannot understand why particular channels fail but others are OK if it is just the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Just a thought... Have you tried putting one of the Humax boxes onto the Samsung Tv just to check if the signal is actually getting to that room. It might be easier than ladder climbing.

• Advertisement

Just a thought... Have you tried putting one of the Humax boxes onto the Samsung Tv just to check if the signal is actually getting to that room. It might be easier than ladder climbing.

Yes, I put a Humax on and the cable swap showed it was the cable side of the Samsung TV. I cannot see it being the cable, but then what do I know?

What is the difference between Sky News and BBC News?

Next I will try bypassing the diplexer. I can afford to lose one of the diplexer channels.

Advertisement