Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it OK to contact landlord on the 27th of Demeber?

Options
  • 26-12-2023 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Our boiler stopped heating our radiators. Is it ok to contact them on the 27th about it? Or is that too close to Christmas. I don't want to bother them during the holidays but it gets really cold in the sitting room and kitchen.

Best Answers

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I would have texted yesterday and called today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I’d have texted on Christmas. Certainly fine to contact today.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Absolutely contact them today. They might have a hard time getting a plumber to call out this week so the sooner you contact them the quicker they can get it looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I'd contact him today.

He may not be able to get a plumber for a few days, but he may have an alternative source of heat he could give you, or get for you - and oil filled radiator, or suchlike - so at least you could heat one room.

Powercity is open today?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭crayon80

Contact him today, it's not inappropriate at all. It might be difficult to get a plumber as emergency cover might be for water flowing/not running emergencies not heating emergencies. But you never know and anyway the process can be started.

I'd be saying too how long it's gone, there is no harm in him knowing you could've contacted him Christmas day but didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Better to contact the landlord asap to get the repair process started and get in the queue for a plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

You check that you have oil/ kerosene?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I assume you've called them already, but get a heater for yourself in Currys or DID etc to always have just in case anyway. Ive a fan heater than ive had for 10 years and its come in handy a few times when oil has run out. Only about €20 at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 walkingpsycho

@billy_beckham it's a gas boiler. We've already had issues with it not heating the water and this occurred a few days after they fixed it for the water.

@Ezeoul & @SharkMX thank you for the suggestion. I picked up 2 on sale yesterday. Its mostly to get the lingering cold out of the house.

I called and am just waiting to hear back from the boiler guy. Thank you everyone. I was just worried about being annoying because we only moved in a month ago. Hope ye had a good Christmas and have a good new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

Being a landlord is a 24/7/365 job; while it's good of you to want to avoid bothering them over the holidays, you should definitely not feel bad about contacting them immediately for any genuinely important maintenance issue like a broken boiler. It's likely to take a little more time for them to arrange a repair during a holiday period, of course, since many tradespeople won't be working, but you should still let them know ASAP so they can get repairs arranged sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'm a landlord. Yes, for an emergency you should contact them 24/365. Broken heating at Xmas could definitely be classified an emergency, depending on the place and whether you are at home.

( This is why I tell landlords on boards all the time to use an agent. You'd have no issue calling an agency emergency number on Xmas day, but feel guilty calling another individual. I get it... but tenants should be able to get help on every day they pay rent. )

Advertisement