Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The immersion - is there an Irish solution to an Irish problem?

Options
  • 24-12-2023 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

So people in my house are always leaving the immersion on. Now in the hotpress there is a small red indicator beside the immersion switch, but the light cannot be seen from the landing, because the hotpress door is usually closed. Now, who can engineer a solution so that the indicator can be seen from the landing, for example over the hotpress door where it would be noticed by passers by? Any takers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

Just get a smart switch and turn it off remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You.could always just move the switch to a position that it can be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

The solution is to move the switch to the wall outside the airing cupboard.

You see that in a lot of modern houses.

Also regarding leaving it on, you know its not "on" all the time that light its on, right?

It shuts down when the set temp on the thermometer is reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Get an Alexa device or similar.

Wire up immersion to a wireless smart relay.

Open an aaccount on IFTTT

Configue it to switch relay on for say 3 hours when you say "Alexa, Immersion on).

OR

Lag the tank well.

Leave the immersion on and have permanent hot water.

Don't worry about it as the immersion is thermostatically controlled and will cut out once tank is hot enough.

Had a similar problem with boost for ventilation system, option 1 worked for me :-)

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Smart switch with an auto turn off time, easy peasy. I have a Tapo switch.

The app can show how long the switch is on by day and week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Ah but OP asked for an engineered solution, that's just plug-n-play ;-)

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Any sort of programmable timer will have a 1 or 2 hour boost function.

Manually turning it on and off is like going outside to cut down some firewood for the fire so you can boil water for a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just be sure any timer you get is suitable for the electrical load in immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Better yet, get one suitable for an immersion ;)

The din rail ones can be handy to install but yeah, as with everything, you have to know what you are doing regarding the load. As long as its designed for an immersion you are fine.

You no longer have to suffer the horrible mechanical timers at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭denismc

Your immersion already has a thermostat that stops heating once the the temperature reaches 65, so it not always on as someone else pointed out.

Modern immersion tanks come with factory fitted insulation so they don't lose that much heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

The words "Irish solution to an Irish problem" make me feel that the switch should be there but the door be welded shut so you can't get at it. Otherwise you'd be inviting temptation what with your immoral hot water and the like.

I was also going to say remove the hot press door but there may be a cheap non smart arse solution.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Insulate the tank if it does not have factory installed insulation.

If it is insulated, the water will stay hot for over 24 hours if no water is drawn off. Hot water rises and cold water falls, so the hot and cold do not mix if not agitated. hot water exits from the top and cold water enters from the bottom.

As you draw off water, the division between hot and cold moves up the tank.

So try the following.

Leave the heat on for a few hours with no-one using the water. Turn it off and see how long before there is no hot water - with no use of water, and separately with use. This will give you some idea of the amount of insulation. If it is inadequate, then insulate it.

If it is adequate, leave the immersion on all the time, or on a clock, as it makes no difference.

Also, your tank might be too small for your use pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When they were building the houses in my estate, I used to visit the site at weekends and take a tour around the various uncompleted (no front door) houses to see what modifications people had ordered. These were all standard two-storey houses with the immersion tank in the hot press on the first floor but the people across the road from me had asked the electrician to install the immersion switch in the kitchen, beside the central heating timer.

If you're ever buying a house 'off the plans', you could consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Why not extend from the current neon light, look on EBay for 10mm 220/240 neon light red or green , one of these and the required length of two core to extend to the required location ,cheap fix.

Advertisement