Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Answer Truthfully...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a very tough year, where the cost of living is rising beyond wage inflation.

Why should anyone be coy about saying they looked for good value, wherever it may be?

However, one good thing that definitely benefitted smaller and indigenous retailers, was the closure of Argos.

I know of a good few small hardware and toys and games stores that saw an uptick, in their absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Christmas presents all came from local stuff. Physical books I generally buy in independent stores. But then there's the Kindle stuff too, just cause I read a lot and I don't have the space for the amount I read. Listen to a lot of vinyl too and they come from a local store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I gave up on this whole buying presents at Christmas scam years ago. Nowadays, I put more effort (and money) into buying things for people's birthdays, or spontaneous no-date-necessary gifts. This year, I bought one thing for my second son from a Ukrainian manufacturer via a GB distributor because the only equivalent was a (more expensive) US product through the same distributor. The other gift was for my god-daughter, which I made myself. Son got his gift in October, god-daughter got hers at the end of November.

In any case, I rarely order from Amazon any more because they've annoyed me no end with repeatedly splitting a single order into several deliveries, and sending the individual items in waaaaay oversized packaging. Instead, I order from AliExpress, who reliably combine dozens of items from different sellers into a single tightly packed parcel, and their unbranded stuff is generally a fifth of the cheapest price on Amazon. And no, I have no qualms about buying from China, seeing as most of the stuff I might buy in a local shop comes from there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Was it any good?

I think I buy 2 things a year from Amazon and that's most of my online spend.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just shopped, with no notions of who got my cash!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

No though I do favour masturbatory alignment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Don't buy off Amazon.

While I bought 99.9 % online (bar groceries) they are all brick n mortar shops.

Smyth's for majority of toys. They are extremely competitive price wise and super efficient.

Then Easons had great black friday deals.

Then the Lego store.

Dunnes and ALDI get my grocery custom. If Tesco has a good clubcard offer I will make the trip.

Local butcher got the ham and turkey order.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I bought everything on line, some most from Amazon and some from boots.

Problem with buying local or from indepenent stores is 90% of the time they don't have what you want.

Even when I look for books on Easons (which should have a great selection) most of the time they only have new releases or really big sellers so if you want anything at all non-mainstream or not a recently published book you won't get it with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've never bought anything from amazon, except one time my niece needed to buy her dad a present and didn't want to ask to use his card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and a lot of these fairs in the RDS charge a pretty penny (i've heard rumours of four figures) to the stallholders.

we did really well getting stuff this year at the christmas craft fair in the botanic gardens - it's free in, and the fee to stallholders is just nominal. so there's less pressure on them to up their prices too. we spent two or three hundred euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Bought 100% everything local, always thinking of the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Nope. I tried to support local twice this year and they made a complete balls of what I was looking for. Local shouldnt mean incompetent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yep, and even at that you'll get a poky stall down in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Night owl gal

Last year I brought everything online (mostly from amazon)

This year I brought everything local. Nearly did buy something online but it didn't work out

I have gotten quite independent, I did some of my shopping in Kilkenny and Waterford this year, never would have attempted to do that in previous years😁

Advertisement