Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Freshmile charging card - one to avoid now folks

Options
  • 23-12-2023 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭

Just a simple thread, hopefully folks will see it and take a moment to look at their Freshmile charging card, the rates changed recently and its not any value to use it anymore. The niche case is on very fast chargers if your car has low SOC.

The days of using it for cheap charging is gone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Still useful to me when used correctly on ESB High Power units(150kWh). You need an EV capable of decent DC charging speeds and it works out cheaper than eCars rates. Start charging with a low SOC % and disconnect at 80%. No use at Ionity anymore which is a pity as that’s where I used to use it most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭innrain

Do you still think charging per minute is a good idea?

I do, particularly on DC chargers capable of decent speeds. It encourages best use of the limited public charging network that we have. Ignorance is now one of the biggest issues with a lot of EV drivers using the public charging network.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Just to reinforce some of the points made here, I used Freshmile earlier to grab a quick charge at the 200kW charger at the Tuam plaza. It cost me €17.40 for 42.33kW over about 14mins or so (€0.30/min + €0.30/kW). That works out at €0.41/kW, which is a good bit less than the standard (non subscription) rate of €0.682/kW.

I acknowledge that it's a niche case where I started with 19% soc, had preconditioned (charged at constant 186kW), so don't throw away the Freshmile cards just yet if you use the fastest ESB units and can precondition to get the best speeds.

Yes, definitely still worth having if you’re clever about how you use it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement