Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temu and other sites selling tat - what’s the point?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Breezy_

2e flashlight

If you bought one then you're a bit thick aint ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Seen multiple examples of Temu selling stuff that was directly ripped off, from people on Etsy...also I have looked at things like dice(for DnD) you could buy 25 sets for the price of 1 or 2 sets from your local game store

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Eventually someone decides it's so cheap there's no point selling it every making them at all.

It's amazing how so many things have disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

$972 million is a lot of money to pay in tax over 4 years in anyones language Bob. An awful lot of money. Almost a million bucks a day if he worked 5 days a week. Then if you add up how much his 1.3 million employees pay in taxes both directly and indiretly you might realize the world needs people of the calibre of Mr. Bezos and companies like Temu.

You need to look at the bigger picture Bob, if you've got 1.3 million employees there's bound to be a few who are uncouth and choose to urinate into bottles. Also if you don't get rid of the lazy ones that can't meet the targets it's just a recipe for disaster.

There are plenty of small Irish businesses that treat their employees worse than Mr. Bezo.

Don't hate the players Bob, hate the game.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭ULEZ23

Groaner, you didn’t read his post. You need to start reading posts groaner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Jeff Bezos is a modern day robber baron.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The peeing in bottles is not a "choice", it's a known consequence of Amazon's harsh schedules enforced on its drivers, necessitating drastic steps cos the schedules don't allow for rest stops for the drivers. Coupled with their aggressive attempts to prevent unionisation. It's not unique for delivery drivers to have pressurised schedules but Amazon is especially egregious. If you've ever had an Amazon package delivered and wondered why they practically sprint to your door - this is why.

An American legal case but I'm not aware of how good or bad Irish drivers have it - the US not known for solid workers rights.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As to the subject? While I appreciate there are bound to be bargains to be found, it's also a giant mountain of cheap plastic tat that would fall apart about 2 weeks after purchase. Is it any wonder we have a refuse and landfill problem

Not like we don't have our "own" stores that sell cheap crap; places like Flying Tiger, or the cheaper end of IKEA's stock. Half the stuff in the former just seems like future landfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Agreed. It’s about the same quality as your New Look, Dunne’s, River Island type stuff. Which also gets here on a slow boat from China. Virtually no difference, except the massive price savings of course.

Sustainability concerns and ‘Shop Local’ unfortunately go out the window when you’re on a tight budget, which a helluva lot of people in this country are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's not true to say that you have to install the app to make a purchase. They do push the app very hard, but you can make purchases through the browser, just like any most sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I never heard of Temu until this thread so it mustn't be that difficult to avoid. But in general, online shops are jammed with tat. It's what the average consumer wants, rubbish that they don't need to distract them from their lives, then after entertaining themselves for a short while they'll move on to something else. Child like mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

And it's a waste whether bought from China or a shop down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Landfills as we know them today didn't even exist until the 1940s

Apart from organic waste and decomposing bodies, Almost everything was intended to last and was reused.

Now almost everything is just used once and dumped.

Even things that we intend to keep for years, phones, furniture mattresses pillows, duvets etc.. Get used for a few years and then landfill.

It's pretty disgusting when you think about it but that is who we are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Idiots will buy crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

It's like going to one of those cheap tat shops when on holiday, who sell cheap crao for the beach, knock off tobacco, cheap shyte to attract idiot tourists.

Ahh c'mon now pixelburp you're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, 3 drivers out of 275,000 drivers that Amazon employ alledge they have been forced to urinate in bottles.

If Amazon are such a tough company to work for why don't the unhappy workers leave and find a job somewhere else? It's not like they are slaves, they work for Amazon by choice.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Those are the 3 drivers that chose, to use your wording, to sue & it's not the sum absolute of problem employees - don't be so literal or myopic; that doesn't account for however prevalent the problem with folks is but have chosen not to sue. If you read the actual article it notes overflowing bins with excrement and pee bottles - clearly more than 3 in that instance.

And if you need explaining how low paying jobs are self-perpetuating cycles of necessity then I can't help you. If you're working at subsistence levels, pay cheque to pay cheque, then it's next to impossible to just "find another job". The poor don't choose to be poor, you're being reductive.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I had major surgery 2 years ago and upon waking up from it I made a silly purchase online that under normal circumstances I would not have

So I conclude that these tatty retailers and their advertising techniques work on the vulnerable

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'd never heard of temu until this post. My social circles would only shop in high class establishments such as Barbour.

Because we're all very wealthy.

• Advertisement

Don't believe everything you read pixleburp and please don't be under any illusion that I need or want any help from you.

The poor don't choose to be poor is a very broad sweeping statement, it almost lays the blame for their predicament on someone else. Many people are born poor but choose to work hard to lift themselves out of the situation.

Take Jeff Bezo (the man you seem to think is an inhumane employer) as an example...

https://www.britannica.com/question/Was-Jeff-Bezos-born-rich

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

There is strict legislation for professional drivers in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Because it's race to the bottom Capitalism baby, that's why.

Filling up landfills with tat that will still be there in millions of years to come because teeny boppers and middle aged mums needed a dopamine hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Amazon delivery vans are generally Cat B vehicles i.e. can be driven with a car licence. They don't have tacographs and CPC is not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's awful, even thinking about all the crap sites like Temu and Ali Baba distribute around the world that no one really needs gives me existential dread.

I wish everyone was as woke as me and limited how much stuff they buy as much as they can, even at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Well I for one love the likes of AliExpress particularly. My hobby is electronics and building my own circuits but I was absolutely sick of being absolutely fleeced by local suppliers, or local suppliers locking out non-trade customers. €10 for pennies parts was the norm.

Yes, there's lots of useless **** on these sites, but no one is forced to buy any of it. Someone posted a tap cover, but that's no more useless than the one you'd pick up in a hardware shop. The only difference is that you won't have much change out of €20 for one got here.

Ok; you say you're not blaming the poor, then basically say it's a still choice to stay poor, that hard work automatically lifts you out of poverty - therefore, if they're still poor it's their fault. Lazy, in effect cos I guess they should work harder? Like there couldn't be a dozen economic and social factors locking people into a cycle. Sometimes yes, the blame lies on external factors if you're running just to stay still and the deck's stacked against you. Maybe take a look at the "boot's theory" as a first stop.

Thankfully in Ireland we don't demonise the poor to the extent America or, latterly, the UK likes to do. The poor should work harder, the sick should not fall ill. I'm glad Bezos worked his way to success, but one swallow doesn't mean a summer. I don't think he's inhumane, i didn't say that.

Getting off topic TBH and not interested in yet another distraction from a user trying to put the Poor's problems at their own feet for not trying hard enough - it's gross, reductive and inhumane. Can agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Has anyone else spotted the Temu employee in the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Kat1170

The shills are really, really trying hard in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

They sell cheap tin foil hats on it if your in the market!

Advertisement