Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Driver

Options
  • 22-12-2023 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I have comprehensive insurance on my own car. Is another person, who has comprehensive insurance on their own car, covered to drive my car without them being named on my policy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Depends on their policy , usually are able , minimum would be third party only, some policies would allow full cover also.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The other guy could be covered under either or both policies.....

1. Your policy will cover them if you have 'open driving'. Which typically requires the other driver to have a full licence and be aged between 25 and 70.
    2. Their policy will cover them if they have 'driving other cars' on their policy.

If you both have fully comp. policies and the other guy has a full licence, it's likely that both will apply.

Your insurance cert will say if other drivers are covered to drive your car and his cert will say if he is covered to drive other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,873 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Open drive has been a costly option on nearly every insurance policy for a long time. Most policies only have 3rd party driving other cars so if you've an expensive car it's a big risk to loan it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

They are covered to drive it, and if they crash your car into (say, a 3rd Party's car), then the damage to the 3rd Party is covered.

The damage done to your car however, is not covered.

Also, came across a weird wording on the DOV clause on a policy last week which stated that the DOV did NOT cover (say) a spouses car, nor a car hired or on PCP.........talk about over-complicating it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 18,873 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Driving other vehicles never covered spouse's cars, married people own everything together which is why a spouse can be the main driver on a policy for a car owned by their spouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Third party cover only for driving other cars would be the norm but damage to the borrowed car could be covered by the driver's own insurance. I have fully comp. cover on driving other cars with Axa - in the schedule it says I am covered for 'Loss or damage to a car you borrow from another person'.

Advertisement