Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I take communion in a Protestant church?

Options
  • 22-12-2023 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am a baptized Roman Catholic however I have been attending Protestant (Anglican mainly, sometimes Presbyterian and occasionally Methodist) churches more so than my own denomination of late. I declined to take communion in any of them so far as I am not entirely sure of the rules.

From what I have read online, communion is open to baptized believers of other denominations who are communicant members of their own church. By the RC definition, I am not eligible to take communion as I haven't gone to confession in years, decades in fact. I used to take communion anyway in RC churches but that's no longer the case. Those are their rules and I respect that, whether I agree with them or not.

In the Protestant churches I have attended, some people have told me that I can take communion whenever I think I'm ready but the problem is I don't even know that. I'm not even going to consider the idea of "just take it and say nothing". I want to it properly, so to speak.

Can anyone on here offer some advice, maybe some clarification? Or am I just reading into it too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Hontou

Yes. As far as I know. (I am from a mixed marriage with both Catholic and Protestant children). You can have communion in a Protestant church but a Protestant cannot take communion in a Catholic Church. It is a more sacred ritual in a Catholic church.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Thanks @Hontou

I was sort of thinking what the exact definition a "communicant member" is, and since I cannot take communion as an RC as I haven't attended confession then I'm technically not a communicant member of the church that I was baptized into.

I will keep what you have said in mind. Thanks once again...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, if we're getting legalistic . . .

If the church of Ireland has a rule that says "a non-Anglican can take communion with us provided they are a communicant member of another Christian church", "communicant member" means what the CofI thinks it means, not what other churches think it means.

You're someone who has regularly taken communion in another Christian church, and who still sees themselves as a member of that church. The fact that you're not taking communion in that church at the moment doesn't necessarily mean, in the CofI's view, that you have ceased to be a "communicant member". If you have taken communion in the Catholic church and still see that as fitting, or desirable, or proper, but are impeded from taking communion right now because of a disciplinary matter, that could be consistent with being a "communicant member".

You could discuss this with the minister at the Anglican church you are attending; he can give you a more authoritative steer about whether you are welcome to take communion in his church than pseudonymous people on boards (like me).

Your post does raise another issue; you say you don't take communion in the Catholic church because you respect their rules. But, of course, they also have a rule that says that Catholicd shouldn't take communion in a non-Catholic church. Clearly, that's not a rule you feel compelled to respect.

I don't say this to criticise you; not at all. But the picture that emerges here is that you respect the rules that the Catholic church makes for its own community, but don't regard rules the Catholic church makes about what individuals do as applying to you. And that raises the question; do you think of yourself as a Catholic? Do you want to think of yourself as a Catholic?

In the Catholic church's own self-understanding, you're at least half-way out the door already. As far as the Catholic church is concerned, a Catholic is a baptised Christian whose primary eucharistic community is a Catholic parish/diocese. If you don't want to take the eucharist in a Catholic community, but do want to take it in an Anglican community, maybe if you follow though the logic of that the appropriate step is to see yourself as a member of the Anglican community?

(On edit: There's one other point that it might be helpful to clarify. You don't take communion in the Catholic church because you haven't been to confession in years. In fact, under Catholic church rules, going to confession before you take communion is only required if you are aware of being in a state of mortal sin. While the church also has a rule that everyone should go to confession at least once a year, a violation of this rule isn't an absolute bar to taking communion.

I'm not asking you if you think you're in a state of mortal sin. But, if you don't think that, then not having been to confession is not, under Catholic church rules, something which bars you from taking communion.)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,683 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That would be an ecumenical matter!

(Someone had to say it.)

Realistically, what matters is the rules of the church you are attending, not the one you used to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I'm CoI and I always thought that any baptised person can take Communion in a CoI church. Honestly when anyone arrives to receive Communion in a CoI church I very much doubt if the clergyman/woman would be questioning them at the point of receiving, as to their qualifications to receive. It would be advisable to just have a private word with the Rector beforehand to put your mind at rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Our (C of I) minister announced that it was God's table, not ours. All are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There was controversy among some when our then President Mrs. McAleese took Communion in a Church of Ireland church.

For example https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mcaleese-branded-a-la-carte-catholic/26200728.html

Surely anyone who wishes to worship should be allowed to do so in whatever manner they choose, it is all Christian worship is it not?

I hope you all enjoyed the celebration of this special time of year and will have a happy and healthy 2024. 🌟

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rs232

Best decide where you want to be.

I know lately it’s been unbearable being Catholic but these times are meant to test us. There are remnants.

In your case, it may be fruitful to do some research on what remember why Church Militant has to shut down business operations. What led to that lawsuit.

Caveat emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Its an interesting question.....as someone who was born into the catholic church, then strayed away for several years after which I came back to the faith but found myself in a protestant church(which i was completely unaware of)I never participated in "Communion". It was never a conscious choice, I just didnt feel compelled to participate in that part of the service. Anyway something interesting happened, I became curious about the early church fathers and began to read about the early church and when I did I realised the truth was inescapable: The church for the first 1500 years was inherently catholic. Martin luther had caused a split and one consequence of that split was the real presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. I felt a very powerful pull back to the catholic church and when I did return and begin the take the Eucharist I felt a difference in my life straight away. He is present in the Bread, whereas in the protestant church, hes not and this is the difference. So I think taking the bread in the protestant communion is a fairly inert practice, whereas taking the Eucharist is extremely powerful. My advice is to read the writings of the early church fathers, this will actually give you a lot of clarity around your decision

• Advertisement
Advertisement