Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Care home recommendation

Options
  • 21-12-2023 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, further to my previous post a while back, my mother's alzheimer's has deteriorated a lot in the last few weeks, so much so she physically attacked me Saturday two weeks ago and has been in hospital, discharged Tuesday. The doctor (professor actually) that has been looking after her the last few years took me aside to tell me to activate the EPA today and start looking at care homes over xmas. And today her friend, ex healthcare professional, that has known her for 30 years paid her a visit today (while I was getting a crown) to say the exact same thing.

I've not had time to look at the info provided in my last post due to the above, I will get to it, but I was hoping for a personal recommendation from someone with experience of a home in north dublin (I'm in d9). Would have to be fair deal as no way can I afford to pay.

Like I said before I've read horror stories of abuse, being left in their own feces (she's Ok in that regard for now), and the recent story in the UK of a nurse sedating patients for an easy shift. Is this common?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OP there are horror stories in all areas. Suggest you go onto the hiqa website and look at recent inspection reports from places in your area. That's usually a good indication of the place as these inspections are unannounced and very thorough. Then call the NH and ask can you have a tour etc.

Bear in mind though even with fairdeal you will still have a monthly bill as they only cover a portion of the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My granddad was in Sybil Hill retirement home in Raheny in Dublin. Shortly after arriving due to his health he was wheelchair bound..

He or all the family couldn’t say enough positive about it… he loved it there. They had a gym, physiotherapy, snooker room, organised cards, bingo, organised trips out for those able… to the park, to the local shopping centre, the cinema etc.….

some of them who were well and mobile enough were even permitted to go to the nearby pub on their own… don’t know how it worked exactly but I’d presume they signed out and were expected back by X time.

now they are all single or double rooms rooms, the whole ward setup is history which is fantastic… so you have privacy and a degree of independence….or if you enjoy the more social aspect….

staff were unbelievable, both lay staff and the nuns were all beyond sound, the late Sr Miriam Charles was running the show… and was an absolute legend… sound and some…and hopefully as I’d expect the legacy she left is still in evidence…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Fair deal will cover a good amount but you will still have to pay a significant amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 carlandlenny

@Strumms Thanks for the info, do you have any idea what Sybil Hill would be like for a physically active alzheimer's person. Her mind it totally gone.

Re the fees, what are we talking about? My mother has about 40k in savings and just the state pension, 300pw including the Living Alone Allowance which I guess will stop, so about 250pw. Will they look at my means?

Advertisement