Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

55 - 60k Budget

Options
  • 21-12-2023 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Recognise a lot to do with personal opinion but...

What would you recommend an ev (or phev) for someone who:

1. Budget 55k to 60k
    2. Drives Limerick to Dublin (~200km each way) about once/week so efficient/heat pump
    3. Must have Adaptive Cruise control (current car has it, spoilt now, don't think can live without it)
    4. Must have decent boot (electric golf trolley/bag/clubs capable)
    5. Preference is a "good badge" (yes I am a snob (ie think) on some things)
    6. Preference is new but could live with a 1 and maybe a 2 year old
    7. Preference is NOT a SUV/Crossover (i.e. saloon preferably)
    8. Preference that has the bells and whistles as much as possible (app control for charging etc, keyless entry, electric boot, heated steering wheel, memory/ventilated/heated seat)
    9. Preference "has room" and very good comfort/seating

Any high end (BMW i5, EQS, i7) will fit all 7 above except 1...and way out of whack (i5 is nuts money). Tempted with BMW 530e or Merc E300e hybrids but again out of budget and would like to stay with ev. EQE, nice interior with crap boot and exterior.

Tesla fits bill on all fronts except 5 & 9...#9 especially, I just cannot get comfortable in its seats (6'2" and not skinny, thighs feel like hanging off the edge and felt squeezed at the shoulders). Wife is getting Highland version in NY so lets see.

Ionic 6, meah, too much plastic (only saw one version). VW 1d7, need to see in flesh but for some unknown reason VW badge I don't trust and will be overbudget when add what want. Seal was very nice but again found difficult to get comfy and felt squashed (and a lot of beeps/distractions).

Am I missing anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭sh81722

Unfortunately it will be Tesla Model 3 LR for you in any colour you'd like. Apparently the new seats are better than before, basically the same seats that are used in Model S also. It's also less plasticky inside and more comfortable and much quieter than the ->2023 models. The accleration is much better than most of the competition while the running costs are low due to good efficiency and the fact that there is no mandatory service schedule. It's really hard not to at least consider one with the criteria you give. Negatives are as with any new cars now on sale the intrusive speed limit warning system that has to be switched off, and the rear seat comfort and space it not stellar on Model 3.

BYD Seal and ID7 are also good choices, but you do not like VW and the BYD badge is not a "good badge" as in late 2023, but would be a great choice otherwise. The badge thing may also change going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

In EV terms Tesla is the good badge, they're driving the entire sector after all. if you're looking for room as a main requirement, surely that's saloons ruled out in general? Gotta be a hatch or a wagon for the utility.

2021/22 Model S? Covers 1-9 nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Kia EV6 would be the one that springs to mind based on your criteria (not much left after you take all the SUVs out)

Kia isnt SUV is it?? Or crossover? Big hatchback I would say!! Hard to tell these days with some things, its just styling in many cases.

There may be a short stop needed on those limerick to dublin trips though at motorway speeds. I would take that over getting a car I dont like i.e Tesla LR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Get the Tesla, stick a BMW badge on it, sorted.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Get a Kia & you won't look back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭josip

I don't think Tesla will cut it for your badge criteria. They're not producing the S or X in RHD any more so the only models that will be in Ireland will be the very mass produced 3 and Y. They're not attractive cars from the outside and the inside is spartan. You're not going to feel special when you sit in it. Plus they have the Musk baggage which may alienate some of those whose opinions you value. Tesla want to be the Toyota of the EV world and are doing everything to head in that direction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Joe Duffy Kia have tons of unsold EV6’s. There should be a deal on them. They’ve sat on the forecourt for most of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭tommythecat

The base level Kia EV6 Earth trim comes with pretty much all the extras you are after and on budget. I'm 6"3 and feel very comfy in it.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,760 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Be wary though, there's a dam about to burst and I don't know if Kia prices are due a big drop....maybe they are. I do really like it though, one of the most impressive cars out on the road in my opinion but is there enough market at over 50k for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭User1998

A PHEV will be pointless really, either get a diesel or an EV. You should test drive a Tesla and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Mercedes gle 450 de, coupe diesel with 100 km range

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I do a lot of long driving for golf, Model 3 fits the bill nicely apart from your comfort comment so do wait for Highland test drive

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,760 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I believe they have to. The EV6 Earth is not worth €58k IMO.

That’s an SUV/Crossover yes?

OP specifically said they don’t want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I wonder. Eamon Ryan was in the media today saying electricity is due a big fall in the first half of 2024.

We could see petrol / diesel at €2 and night rate electricity widely available at less than 10 cent.

That would drive demand for EV's for sure.

Everything is coming back somewhere close to where it once was. A lot of talk here recently that the early adopter phase is over, and the madness of the last few years is easing, BMW can't sell an i5 at launch price according to that thread, they can sell 520i and 530e because they are 20k cheaper, vw all over the place, I couldn't tell you what a cupra or a Skoda Enyaq costs now because the published prices haven't changed but they must follow vw, that is for sure. Kia must follow suit, the game is up. Not skating ev6 at all, I like it, I'd have one over anything from vw but the price will in time start with a 4 in my opinion.

BMW UK dropped the price of the i5 in the UK softly. No big announcement but some guys were being offered them a couple of k below RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Thanks all.

sounding like M3 (or ev6 if go to crossover). Will see in NY when have a few spins in the wife’s M3 (she does the Dublin trip also…different days/location though with charging available at destination).

would stick with what have but just shy range wise and no charging available at destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think the gist of the thread is that the OP will have to compromise on probably 2 items. Such is the nature of his asks and budget.

Nothing really hits everything he has outlined so depends on what items he feels are the priority.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ya, compromise always the case, nothing is perfect

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭eltoastero

You want a Kia EV6 GT Line by the sounds of it. I'd also recommend you consider the (newer) Polestar 2, but it might not meet your roominess requirements (i find it snug at 5"10' but it's an excellent car (from my testing and from what I'm told by owners)

P2 is very compact inside alright.

EV6 GT Line is €67k Again, over budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,556 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Used taycans are starting to approach that budget. Currently starting at mid 70's after being 85-90 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Nice 2020 Model S on Donedeal for 62k. Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭eltoastero

True, the new ones are over budget, OP would consider a year old one and I think I saw a 221 GT Line on Donedeal for €45k (ish) during the week. It was a lot of car for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭tommythecat

The Earth trim has everything on his list apart from ventilated seats. It has memory and heated seats. He doesn't need the GT line. The Earth comes in on budget for a new model.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Advertisement