Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Roots 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

It's a really nice little festival. Was there 2 years ago. They could just do with an improved line up.

Not sure what it was like last year but heard some rumors that some artists pulled out due to payment issues. Hopefully all gets sorted this year and it goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wild Roots announcing their line up next week, they need to buck up and get some decent acts this year and as Will Softly said on their Facebook page, 'Pay their bills.'

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭LowOdour

We are thinking of going to this as it's one of the few festivals in Ireland that allow teenagers.

From experience, what is like for the 12-17 age group? Found Kaleidoscope a little aimed towards younger kids when we were there a few years ago

Well I'll leave my review 2023 so you can get a taste.

So I guess either this evening or tomorrow noon for this announcement, whether we get Wild Roots or ATN, hopefully one of them soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭LowOdour

@bodhrandude announcement up on FB. Poor fair

Yeah a bit in the weak side alright, some headliners still to be named.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭TenPicnics

3 years in and again a very, very poor offering. I really hope/want it to succeed, but if the weather doesn't hold up they're probably screwed. All the freebie or cheap tickets available won't make up for fekk-all provided by way of a "festival", with little-no protection from rain. In saying that, Wild Roots has has been incredibly lucky both years with fantastic weather, which makes a big difference, especially for all the day-trippers, of whom there are many. After year 1 though, the post-pandemic tolerance of z-list acts has well and truly gone, so I and my crew certainly won't be going back with line-ups of this 'quality'. Best of luck to those going and hope the weather is kind to you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea fairly meh line up, they would need those other headliners to be fairly strong (nearly expecting Jenny Greene again). Looks like a cool set up overall and I like when festivals have a theme and not just some stages in a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭TenPicnics

It's really just one main stage though, in a field, a couple of tiny raised platforms, all without cover, and a small barn-type place that is covered and should have had loads of real trad acts playing, but in year 1 was a few sound system affairs, no actual bands in there ... not sure of a theme of any sort being evident ...

• Advertisement

In year 1 it was the folk who run the Haunt venue at EP but apparently they didn't get paid and never returned so it was turned into a trad and folk venue for year 2. Yeah new line up is fairly disappointing. Maybe the line up has still to come out for the dance stage, District 24 it will be this year, I thought that was the strongest stage compared to the main stage stuff although Inspiral Carpets and Jiggy last year was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jenny Greene playing Sligo on Paddy's Day so just over 2 months between appearances would be too much..

Very weak line-up for Wild Roots.

Wonder how many of those "Coming Soon" would only play on a minimum tickets sold criteria? Reckon that's why we missed Friendly Fires last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Minimum sold not really issue, probably more so agent was asking for 100% fee before arrival

WR made an announcement that more acts are being added next week so hopefully we get some good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

the line up so far is fairly atrocious, needs something major to make it middling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I'd have thought Dec Pierce, Hermitage Green and Damien Dempsey are fairly ok. It looks like there'll be at least 1 of equal standard and 1 of a higher standard to be announced.

Post edited by CZ 453 on

Some names added still not doing much for me.

Hannah Wants, The Academic, The Barley Mob, Sonic Minds, Derek Warfield and the Young Wolftones, New Era, Aslan with Lee Tomkins, Philip Steels, Heidi Stemp, Terry Markey, Darra McKenna, Joe Fogarty, Julie Gillen, Brian Sexton and Karen Delaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Unfortunately it seems a very poor line-up for this years festival.

2022 was a good opener, 2023 dipped in quality of acts a bit but the incredible weather certainly made up for it's flaws.

Considering its a prime time to book acts as a lot are touring in June, these are very lazy bookings. I can see this festival folding this year, I thought they might give Sea Sessions a run for their money but upping the ante a bit, but because of the way they have treated certain performers and festival suppliers (loos etc) they have been tainted and its very hard to come back out of that. The Rory Gallagher festival in Ballyshannon would be a better organised event and although Sea Sessions lineups haven't been the best recently they still blow Wild Roots away.

it’s a small capacity festival (5,000 ish) run by independent promoters. A lot of artists are out of reach for multitude of reasons. You can bet a lot of UK agents wouldn’t even answer an email from such festivals.
    if body and soul with decade plus of festivals and connections couldn’t make it work and deliver a line up then don’t be harsh on wild roots

• Advertisement

First festival was for 12,500 capacity if I recall, it probably never reached that though.

Anyways here's the first poster again taken from website rather then Facebook this time as the Jpegs from there keep expiring, its strange how they haven't updated it with the fifteen new acts added last week.

The updated one has been posted on Fb and Instagram etc, that all that really matters in 2024.

They’ve announced the buy one get one free tickets again this year, definitely struggling to ship tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I got an email about it. Seems that they'll be announcing it on their socials on Friday.

Well, won't be working this, this year as the crowd I was working with have pulled out, because, you've guessed it, they weren't paid by Wild Roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ah it's a shame but the festival market has been mentally overstretched the last couple of years. Stories of artists and vendors not being paid, desperately undersold events, the likes of relative big hitters lije Body and Soul taking fallow years.…

I love my music but I wish we could streamline the whole scene, get one great Summer music festival in every region, have more consistent quality in the lineups, more guarantee of success for each venture. Nobody's winning at the moment really.

Advertisement