Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U18 Vapes banned

Options
  • 21-12-2023 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

We sleepwalked into a big problem here

Kids addicted to nicotine and they turn to cigarettes when they don't have a vape

I presume parents will supply Nicorette or similar to the addicted U18s or they'll continue to vape or smoke by some other means

Post edited by kirk. on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

A high percentage of the kids I interact with are addicted

They switch around between vapes and cigarettes . Some of the older ones are looking to quit via nicotine alternatives gum etc

Shame it was allowed to happen really

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You don't even need to ban it, just restrict it. Vaping for many smokers has been a great way to get away from smoking. Smoking is so much worse than vaping. And it should be available to them.

I'd stop all newsagents etc from selling those cheap disposable vapes for a start. Only allow any vaping stuff to be sold in vape shops. If a vape shop is caught once selling to someone underaged, close them down for a while. they'll learn their lesson.

Disclaimer: I vape. I smoked for years. Switching over helped a lot. I'll quit vaping at some point. I don't want to be addicted to something. But for now I'm ok with vaping.

That's a different subject matter , adult vapers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Disposable vapes should be banned.

It isn't if we're talking about access to vapes. A lot of the suggestions I see when people discuss teens vaping is about restricting access. I'm ok with measures that restrict access to vapes for teens, but I still want them to be available to adults.

An example would be flavors. I hate tobacco flavored vapes. I know that sounds weird since I smokes for years. I always smoke fruity/sweet flavored vapes. I don't want to see them ban all flavoured vapes. I'm ok with stopping newsagents from selling all vapes, but I'd still like adults to be able to get the full range of everything at vape shops.

And lets remember, the thread title is Vapes banned.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I had to go on patches to get off the vapes. Horribly addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Those vape shops put me off, cheap neon lit seedy looking places. Wouldn't give me such faith in their products, not that inhaling Chinese mystery liquid appeals to me anyway.

🙈🙉🙊

Title edited It's under 18s that's been banned

Sure vapes have a purpose for adults switching from cigarettes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Whats in Vapes??

Im sure they are 'bad' for you? Does anyone know what the inevitable harmful stuff in them are?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Inhaling boiling Chinese chemicals, perfectly safe I'm sure.

Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

I'm sure others who are better informed than me will be able to let us know the specifics but I seem to recall one doctor stating that, even without nicotine, it is the concentrated flavors/ colours and other chemicals which I doubt are harmless that are being inhaled directly into the lungs - he said this can lead to untold irreversible damage - the lungs aren't designed to filter these things out on a continuous basis - it is akin to working in a spray painting shop all day every day without a mask.

Its fcuking mental !!!

Its like at the start of the cigarette boom, when smoking was cool, and encouraged ..... No talk of the harmful effects .......

Now its yummy flavours instead of Doctors and babies ..........................

Crazy sh1t .................................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

From what I've been reading, Australia are banning them outright except on prescription as a stop smoking aid. Starting with disposables in January and refillables in March.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/australia-begins-crackdown-vaping-ban-import-single-use-devices-2023-11-28/

To ensure the bans don't limit access for smokers looking to quit, doctors and nurses will be given expanded powers in January to prescribe therapeutic vapes where clinically appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

I'm not a smoker. never have been. Is it basically the same process as crack cocaine? Heating a substance until the until the crystals are small enough to be inhaled via vapours?

Can't see how that was seen as a healthy alternative to smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I dont believe that most "vapers" are the most intelligent people. How can you if you vaporise random chemicals and then inhale them and claim they are "healthy".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The amount of misinformation on this thread is both laughable and unsurprising.

The main ingredients are nicotine, food grade flavorings, polyclycol or vegetable glycerin. The only other "chemical" is dihydrogen monoxide aka water. It's funny how you can make anything scary by referring to it containing chemicals.

You didnt copy and paste the bad bits though ......

"What are the harmful chemicals in Vapes?

Besides nicotine, e-cigarettes can contain harmful and potentially harmful ingredients, including:

• ultrafine particles that can be inhaled deep into the lungs.
    • flavorants such as diacetyl, a chemical linked to serious lung disease.
    • volatile organic compounds.
    • heavy metals, such as nickel, tin, and lead.

Is vape bad for your teeth?

One of the main ingredients in vape juice is propylene glycol (PG), which is safe to eat and inhale but when used orally breaks down into acids that damage enamel, and propionaldehyde, which irritates soft tissue. PG also causes dry mouth, taking away essential saliva, leading to cavities and gum disease.

You eat loads of random chemicals. Do you know what they all are? Do you know how long they've been on the market? No. You assume that the regulatory groups have checked everything.

Have you a source for this?

By the way diacetyl has been banned in vape juice since 2016.

Here are some other facts for you: https://ukhsa.blog.gov.uk/2018/02/20/clearing-up-some-myths-around-e-cigarettes/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dalyboy

It’s about time this under 18 law was brought in. Now I hope we can drop all the nonsense about telling ADULTS not to vape or dictate the flavours they are to purchase. I stopped tobacco smoking 10 years ago and switched to vapes.

I went from a very unhealthy 38 year old with hard to breathe lungs and cough to a super fit 48 year old with zero lung issues or related health problems.

To be honest I would have assumed it was banned for under 16's the same as for cigarettes. I also hope this stigma about vaping fruity flavours ceases now. It just so happens I like vaping cherry or blueberry flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭LastFridayNight

The government has been tragically slow on this. Also didn’t go far enough, they should also block advertising completely and ban the point-of-sale display. Fine if existing adult smokers want an alternative but let’s stop encouraging new-comers from starting a pointless addictive habit.

Double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Fully agree disposable vapes should be a goner, it's the most prevalent form of litter you see these days. Oh for the days of diposable masks and dog sh*te. How they were ever allowed is beyond me.

About time the ban on sale to under 18's was put in place too but lads, if you were looking to the government to save your kids from this, you're barking up the wrong tree. Big tobacco wins again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

There were a fair few health professionals and addiction experts going to bat for vapes to stay as they are. Can only assume they were getting a tidy sum from the tobacco “lobby”.

Great news they are being banned for kids. They’ve always been a better substitute for adults to get off cigarette, childish flavours aside. Just a shame that the tobacco industry has already gotten their claws into a couple of future generations.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

I'm not saying it is, of course it isn't, just is it taken in via the same physical process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

But it’s just a ban on sale to minors right? Like they are not banned from using them?

Or is that just how this works for everything and I’m just confused.

Advertisement