Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old T.V shows that flopped when thet were first released that might do good today?

Options
  • 20-12-2023 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

One I have been watching recently is Stargate Universe. A lot of crap in it but I think if it was made today with just 10 or 12 episodes all that crap and filler would be left out and it woukd be a much better show now.

I never liked it at the time that it was very dull but think its not really so bad now once you skip by the stones exchange bits which was a truly terrible idea.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Sliders.

Didnt massively flop but i think there would be an appetite for that type of show today.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,327 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would not in any way have said Stargate SG1 flopped with 10 seasons and two movies and two spin offs that had another 7 seasons between them.

Having one of it's spin off end after two season was more down money not ratings if I remember right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I never said that Stargate SG1 flopped but Stargate Universe did.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I have an idea in my head for a show like that but the more I thought about it the more I thought people will just think that its sliders again just slightly different and it would just be a flop.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The magnificent Utopia which was cancelled after 2 seasons by Channel 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Was always surprised the TV show Brotherhood didn't get a bigger audience when first released in the early 2000's. Excellent cast and a great storyline - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brotherhood_(American_TV_series) .Think a show like this would do much better if released now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Space Above and Beyond.

Was a bit ahead of its time as "gritty" sci-fi and certainly tried to do CGI too early.

That and Sliders (people love the multiverse now) are perfect for a reboot which is something I am usually against.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,234 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭FlicFlak

Terra Nova would have done really well today.

Dinosaurs 80 million years in the past, the CGI needed then was cost prohibitive but would be good now, excellent cast aswell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭Tow

Earth 2

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

Eldorado. British ex-pats in Spain, they'd probably have a few issues to talk about which didn't exist in 1992/3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Stacked. I thought it was hilarious, but probably a bit ahead of it's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭SharkMX

The Time Tunnel

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

firefly. was cancelled with some episodes not even shown, i think.

but it did great later with dvd sales etc, and eventually a feature movie to wrap the story up.

i

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭squonk

American Gothic, a show from the mid 90s about a family being menaced by a sheriff in a small town who had killed the younger boy’s sister. Great cast. Gary Cole, Sarah Paulson. Never really got the backing of its network let alone ratings which didn’t help as the network showed the episodes out of order in the first place. Loads of questions, who or whst is the sheriff? What happened the boy’s parents? I think it’d be a msssive show on Amazon or Netflix these days. Sort of in the vein of American Horror Story.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Police Surgeon. Great possibilities now with medicine and crime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Firefly has to be at the top of the list; badly mismanaged by Fox at the time and would easily hold up today as well with potential for rotating cast as needed as people get left behind / die / join the crew etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wytek

Manimal

Automan

Salvage 1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Ghost Squad. Abour a special police unit to tackle unusual cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Anerican gothic had such potential but the us audiences found it too dark and it was cancelled.

another vote for space above and beyond also, id love a reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

Dark skies but Jeri Ryan (7 of 9) didn't fare too badly from being in it

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

Eerie Indiana was another show that didn't get it's deserved full run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip with Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,039 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dollhouse, I thought was pretty good, and had plenty of mileage left in it

Ms

I agree with both of these. Was looking at the Space Above and Beyond DVD in Tower Records recently. Very tempted to buy it but did not in the end. Might reco sider that. I might buy it yet as it was brilliant if I can not stream it anywhere.

Sliders was brilliant too. Loved it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

What was Dark Skies about? Sure I seen it but do not remember it. Did it get about 3 or 4 seasons and end kind of abruptly. Was that the show with the android in it like Data?

If it was then yes it was a great show and deserved to last longer.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Bedlam

An indie horror show financed by Sky about 10 years ago. It was originally due to be 3 seasons long but cancelled at the end of Season 2 (leaving it on a huge cliffhanger 😡). The story at the time was that funding couldn't be agreed for the 3rd season so it just fizzled out of existence.

Horror shows are back in style right now though so I think it would do well, it had pretty good production values for a low budget show.

It was set in an old asylum that had been converted to an apartment block and followed the 'ghost of the week' format.

The owner of the place was actor Hugo Speer and he's in disgrace right now for alleged nude antics on the Full Monty TV show set so he probably wouldn't be invited back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Such a great show. Had sort of The X-Files mixed with Twin Peaks vibe going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Live

Loved it. Have it on dvd and download. Someone's at the door......

Advertisement