Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Pia - 21.12.23 (named by Danish Met Office)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Definitely won't go red and low chance of Orange, strong in places especially the W, NW and N but probably won't reach Orange wind warning criteria.

Named by Denmark due to effects there, windy and gusty over Ireland especially elevated ground but we won't experience storm conditions overland here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,803 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Feck, that looks like bringing fairly mental seas to N Donegal, where I'll be heading to on Saturday 😭

Bet the wind and kite surfing show will be amazing.

Bah 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Hooter23

When you have high pressure and a storm together like that you will get very strong sustained winds in between....even if you are very far away from the storm...so it might still be like a storm in the west and north because of the strong constant winds even though the gusts will not be high...

Post edited by Hooter23 on

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭pureza

Gusting to 95kmh here in Arklow at thr moment Westerly

Very loud

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Same in Greystones....very loud too. Gusting 50 knots atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 beansie

The wind is violent in Newtownmountkennedy. Can't remember the last time it was as strong here

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Taken aback by the strength of the gusts here in Dublin. Very concerned for my recycling bin which is out for collection this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Just got woken up by my brand new bunker being flung across the garden (Wicklow town). Very strong gusts and looks like it’s due to get worse in the next few hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

Very windy here in Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The loud sustained winds seem to have eased in Rathdrum in the past while but still some frequent strong gusts. There was a nasty hour or so of just constant noise from around 5.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The whistling noise from my stove in this wind is driving me bonkers, feck off wind!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

No easing in Arklow

Several guststs around 90kmh

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Quite a bit of whsitling here in Greystones too! Recent gust of 53 knots.

It will be the sustained wind today that will be the feature. Nothing more than yellow warning criteria wind that I can see so far this morning.

Power gone here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Must have been really stormy so far in Scandinavia if they are up to P in the naming cycle.

Still off here

Estimated return 830 am apparently

Wind howling

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Was woken up around 4am here in cork with the wind howling. I knew there was a named storm and a yellow wind warning but didn’t think I’d be woken up by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Doesn't work like that for them 🙂 they only name a storm if nobody else has and it's going to impact them (so pretty uncommon really)... and they don't start at A.

A lot of trees down here

Wasn't expecting things to be this bad locally in South Wicklow

Power still out,not expecting it back for the day at this rate

Recent gust 98kmh west

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Short article about the storm here from the Danish met service:

https://www.dmi.dk/varsler

Hurricane force gusts expected today (33 to 35 m/s)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Extremely strong gusts up at the airport.

M4 buoy (off the coast of Donegal) reporting 33ft/10 metre wave height atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

A wilder morning in South Wicklow than we've had during recent orange warnings. Some really ferocious gusts blowing through here. Met Eireann forecasting the sustained winds to begin easing from around 12 but yellow level gusts on the table until around 4.

Power just dropped for a second there but I reckon we'll have an outage soon. Surprised it hasn't happened already

They've pushed out restoration of Power in the Arklow area to 1130am

Can't be easy climbing poles in circa 80 to 90kmh winds

There are approximately 4000 homes in Co Wicklow out at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Breezy in Galway but quite mild. Last night was lovely for walking. The clouds were skooting past the half moon but it was dry and mild. I saw 3 foxes on a long walk.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,803 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Anyone know of any webcams up in North/West Donegal? I want to see what I'm missing 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

windy enough sw donegal around 4am and into morning, calmed down now.

rossnowlagh looks normal enough

https://rossnowlaghsurfclub.ie/index.php/surfcam/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Just google searck Donegal webcams. Here is Bundoran Beach Cam Live Stream on Youtube, press play for live feed

I thought the wind was easing in Greystones but has ramped up a bit in the last half hour or so. Recent gust of 58 knots.

• Advertisement
Advertisement