Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxation on carers

Options
  • 19-12-2023 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi asking this for a friend

she is currently a single parent family getting 430 a week and 115 of that is carers allowance..she just want to know should she be paying tax and if so how much ? Thanks in asking here as I don’t have a clue or how to answer her

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Her salary will be taxed but carers must be declared to revenue. SW payments themselves are never taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Peterk88

Ok so is it that she will be taxed on the 115?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's taxed at source by revenue by reducing your tax credits and standard rate. No need to declare, tell her check her tax credit cert it will show the deduction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Is the €430 a week her gross weekly income? Tell her to stick €22k into the pwc tax calculator and find out how much tax she will pay in a year. It won't be much.

• Advertisement

In my experience Revenue wont be aware of the carers themselves. It will have to be declared on my revenue.

They contacted her on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭nhg

She needs to tell revenue the current weekly amount that she is in receipt of, revenue will then annualise the amount and reduce her rate band and tax credits to cover the income tax due on this taxable benefit, she can then use the remaining rate band and tax credits against her PAYE income.

Each year after the year end (after mid to late January - to allow the DSP time to update her record) she should submit a statement from the Department of Social Protection to Revenue stating the total amount she received in respect of carers income in the previous tax year so that they can update her record to record the actual amount received instead of the annualised amount. She can download this statement from www.my welfare.ie

Once her record has been updated to the actual amount, she can submit her income tax return (eForm 12) for the year to check if she may be due any refund.

Advertisement