Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"irregular" couples

Options
  • 19-12-2023 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Pope says Roman Catholic priests can bless same-sex couples!

The leader of the Roman Catholic Church said priests should be permitted to bless same-sex and "irregular" couples, under certain circumstances.

The Catholic Church confirming again it will always be fundamentally homophobic!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

who cares what they think really. Civil marriage is the only one that counts in the real world and thats already been extended without compromise to cover same sex couples

• Registered Users Posts: 33,030 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Strange that an organisation full of homosexuals doesn't like homosexuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Who cares what the pope says,

Crowd of child molesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I expect people who apply for the blessing care.

There are some who struggle to balance their religion and their sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,537 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't get why people care , If the church won't marry you then so what it's there "club" there rules,

Its all made up anyway ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

ah thats really nice of the chief zombie worshipper.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

'Celibate' men telling you what you should or shouldn't do in the bedroom. Sick puppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

This organisation has huge influence on the world. Disproportionately so. While I’d wish people would see them for what they are, a money making racket and an oppressive one at that, a huge proportion of the population here identify as Catholic. If a move like this makes it easier for anyone to live their lives, it’s welcome.

But honestly, they’re no different to Druids, red pillers, crystal healers etc etc etc. They change their views to suit whatever way the wind is blowing. Remember being taught about original sin in school? That twisted BS was quietly dumped by them one day.

Go away and media, stop reporting so prominently on them.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,480 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Ah lads grow up, you sound like a bunch of snotty teenagers. There is nothing more status quo in Ireland at the moment that giving out about the church, and not just at the moment but for the past 20 years. What are ye trying to prove?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

In fairness there's multiple good reasons for that attitude towards the church...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Irregular couples sound like couples that don't poop every day

• Registered Users Posts: 34,454 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

People are allowed to comment on something without 'trying to prove' anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,022 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yeah it's fairly low hanging fruit for the whingers here at boards.ie.

The Catholic Church do something "progressive" like blessings same sex couples, and the reaction here is to give out about everything bad they did in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,973 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's a significant shift in Catholic practice. The Catholics ate like the UK monarchy. They have to be behind the times to maintain status as an antiquated institution. But it also has to modernise it doesn't become so disconnected from the real world that people just forget about it.

What they say wont have any effect on my life, but I'd prefer they say this than totally shun the gays. It's a move in the right direction even thought it's still miles behind the times.

In a generation the Catholics will be performing marriages for same sex couples and they'll deny ever being opposed to it. That's just how these kinds of institutions work.

It won't have any impact in Ireland, but there are probably gay people in Africa and South America who are glad the Catholics are softening their rhetoric. It probably signals a small improvement in the kind of guff they get from people over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Yeah, nothing to see here. Sure they were only covering up for pedophiles, moving them to other parishes so that they could continue what they were doing while also trying to silence those making claims. They weren't just doing this in Ireland, but worldwide! Sean Brady (later cardinal) was not the "designated person" to go to authorities apparently, whatever that means. But, it's all water under the bridge right (excuse 1)? Anyway sure it was society in general that was to blame (excuse 2, the church informed morality in the state at the time).

They should never be allowed forget what they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,454 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There's absolutely nothing wrong with calling out a corrupt organisation, particularly one with ever moving goalposts in an attempt to stay relevant.

The only whingers I see on here are the likes of yourself defending them.

that we don't like an org that facilitates and protects child rapists ?

And I'll admit also a bit of punching down on delusional adults that believe in a bearded sky fairy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭prunudo

Thought this was going to be a thread about couples which shouldn't work together but actually do and have a strong relationship. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Calling these couples ‘irregular’ is dog whistle stuff. What they are really saying to their followers is ‘You’re normal, these people are not’. 

Behind the scenes the leaders decide to make this concession to keep the money coming in. All they care about is money and followers and control.

Calling that out isn’t snot nosed teenage behaviour. You’re a fossil. 

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

This is the organisation that blesses tractors. Their blessings probably aren't as important as they once were

Every priest has a family member or close friend who is in an "irregular" relationship (or "marriage" to the rest of us) so I guarantee you this has been happening already. You ask me it was only a matter of time before the head office caught up with the troops on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

How we progress as a nation until he speaks out on Leviticus 19:19

We need guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Hmm, not sure the people whom that applies to would give much heed to anything the Pope has to say on the matter 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭crusd

While the Catholic Church remains a backward, insular and closed minded organisation, any movement towards a more open approach is welcome.

Did anyone actually expect them to go straight to allowing gay marriage within the church?

Yeah that's how I see it. They will have to move in the same direction as society, or they'd become totally irrelevant. This is a step in the right direction, going the rest of the way will take way longer than it should. Once time has passed and they've been performing same sax marriages for a while, they'll deny ever being opposed to them in the first place.

Catholics probably need a bit of oppression to feel like they're doing something right against the odds. They probably enjoy being behind the times on social issues. Gives them the feeling society is out to get them and they can demonstrate their faith by suffering a bit for it. Helps bind them together.

I could see some sort of fresh new Catholic split offs as this happens. I can't imagine any of the more extreme Catholics being happy with it. Eg your David Quinns or ancient order of Hibernians. If I'm honest, I've got very little time for the church based on personal experiences so I'll happily watch the comedy of the internal conflicts from this kind of thing. 😲 But equally I'd hope that this might help reduce bigotry in African states etc. So there's definitely positives for both LGBT people who are Catholic and people impacted by the views of the church.

Yeah the Catholics need to balance more progressive legacy markets like Ireland with the emerging/mature markets like Africa and South America. This news might actually be seen as genuinely progressive or even too progressive in those markets. Its a tricky balance for them.

The splitting threat by the David Quinns is probably not a big issue in places like Ireland. It's probably bigger threat in the emerging markets so they probably don't want to go too quickly for them rather than too slowly for the likes of Ireland.

Yep I'm thinking more the likes of Catholics you'll get in the US which could easily go in the direction of evangelical Christians or something. They're far more hard-line than the majority here.

Yeah fair point. I hadn't really thought of where the US fits in.

A quick Google suggests 25% of Americans are Catholic and Americans are pretty influential. So they probably don't want to move too quickly for them either. They have fire and brimstone evangelicals on their doorstep so it would be an easy switch for them if they're very conservative.

In any case, I don't particularly admire the Catholics for making this move, but I'm glad its an improvement on their old position. It will probably reduce the risk of harm for gay people over the next few years in some parts of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭StormForce13

Good man Mr. Pope. Now, when can we expect Her Holiness Mary McAleese's response?

Advertisement