Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is the Ford Ecoboost a terrible engine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭_H80_GHT

You need to qualify that with how old the car is, him many miles on the clock, how long you've had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭mikeecho

You got the engine replaced.. due to an unrelated engine replacement issue.. but it's not an engine replacement.

I once had a flat tyre, but it was only flat at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 trindade

It's terrible. I know a few histories about this engine. I actually do not trust Ford, my first car was a Ford Ka and I had a lot of issues. Since then I only bought Toyota, Honda or VW brands.
    Ford means Fix Or Repair Daily and I confirm that was my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Eco-bomb as my mechanic friend calls it. Neighbour's went on his too and cost about 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭djan

The person never said they didn't get an engine replacement?? Just that the replacement wasn't due to inherent mechanical issues but by a branch breaking part of it.

As others have said, the newer ones are much better and comparable to other stuff out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭GPoint

I thought these acronyms no longer used but apparently not.
    Ford Ka was at the bottom of their line up and not deserved to be called a car, even smaller than fiesta.

I had mondeo for 9 years and changed when it was 14 years old and never had issues with it apart from known alternator problem and some minor things and service. I changed oil every 10 k twice a year and it served me well. Best value for money of all cars that I owned.

First ecoboost engines need good maintenance and if you are not into cars or don’t have mechanic and you drive in in busy city traffic best avoid it.

As if Toyotas never break or never have rust everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Mad_Lad

I got this from hear, this is from 2018

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/100066-10-ecoboost-vs-15-ecoboost-which-to-get/

The newer builds of the EB 1.0 have an uprated coolant pipe fitted and also an extra pump that keeps pumping coolant through the turbo when required, even if the engine has been turned off.  The 125 BHP version of the engine comes with the 6 speed box is lovely to drive although like all turbo petrol engines it can't deliver performance AND economy at the same time.

The 1.5 EB has had it's own issues in relation to an apparently rather irritating rattle (there have been at least 2 threads on here about the issue), Ford reckoned it was "by design".  It's also not a particularly modern engine so isn't great on the old economy front and isn't as keen to rev out as the 1.0 EB so can feel a little sluggish/strangled.

Personally I'd go for the 125 BHP 1.0 EB IF it's a late enough version that it has the additional pump circuit to ensure everything gets cooled down properly even after the engine if shut down.  I personally think it's much nicer to drive (when you want to have fun) and on a steady motorway run on cruise control, will still deliver 50(ish) MPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They sorted the engine after 2019 I believe, the biggest problem was overheating due to a nylon coolant pipe. The 1.6 diesel is plagued with thermostat problems too, housing need to be constantly replaced but thats a tiny thing compared to your engine going.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 trindade

I did not want to hurt your feelings, I just wanted to share my experience and what I've heard from friends, etc…

Every person has a different experience with cars, that's why we still see Peugeot, Citroen and Ford around even with terrible quality cars…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Tech_Head

Have a 2016 Fiesta Red Edition which was mapped to give it 155hp like the UK spec. 45,000km and running like new. Serviced annually with the exception of a year during lockdown when it wasn’t used.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Have a 2014 focus ecoboost. 160k on it.

Runs very well and owes me very little. It's due a belt change which is upwards of 2k job. Engine replacement isn't much more than that.

Few dealers I've spoken to about a trade run away when I mention it in exchange.

Don't know what to do with it. Half tempted to see how long it runs.

Wow, that's a lot for a belt change.

Maybe time to get a cheap Dacia ?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭GHendrix

None of the Ecoboost issues are fixed. Go to the Facebook page Ecoboost Nightmares and there are literally posts daily about engine failures. The group has over 20k members. Even 2019s are still failing.

I’m learning the hard way that nobody wants to touch these cars. Mechanics don’t want to fix them once they have problems and nobody wants to buy one.

I’ll never buy a car with a wet belt again

From 2019 onwards, they moved to a timing chain but still using a wet belt for the oil pump. And still Ecobooms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The majority of my cars have been from Peugeot and Ford, never had any serious trouble with them. The issues with current "eco" engines is across all brands.

🙈🙉🙊

Just bring back the 1.4 and 1.6 naturally aspirated 4 pot engines even turbo ones or the option of turbo. with proper engine design that's easy to fix.

The mad thing is that Ford can get away with it while people suffer the financial loss.

Does insurance cover engine failures ?

No, not unless it was caused by an accident or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's crazy that the issues are obvious and easily solved, but that they keep building them the same. That makes it sound like it's a money spinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭hellyeah

Agreed on the old 1.4/1.6. I have a 2008 focus with the old 1.6 petrol unit. Have the car 14 years and passed nct again only last week. Tester told me to hang on to it. Imo this generation of car was peak ford. Ultra reliable with very little tech to go wrong and cheap to fix.

The wet belt set up is a nightmare unless you are meticulous with your servicing. We have had 2 ford's with this setup in the family. A fiesta from new for 9 years, no trouble at all. Got rid as the belt was due, replaced with a new focus 2022 with the chain set up. Time will tell.

Both of the ecoboost always serviced before schedule with the castrol 5w 20 oil as per manufacturer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

These are multi award winning engines. Any early issues (that poorly designed hose for example) have been replaced at this stage. They can't cope with poor or patchy servicing either. Insist on a full service history if you are looking at one.

Wet belt should be changed at 10 years or 150,000 miles (reduced to 100000 miles since) whichever comes first and I've seen the cost of this job reducing recently. c.STG£800. No idea what it is in Ireland.

I'm on my 3rd. First one was a 1.0T 125bhp unit in a Focus. It was smooth, quiet, and had decent performance. It returned just over 50mpg on average.

The last 2 were 155bhp mild hybrid units in Pumas. These have great performance (overtaking is a breeze) and are actually slightly lighter again on fuel. They are great fun to drive. Ford are not going to offer it in the facelifted Puma with a manual gearbox for some reason.

The full list of Ford 1.0-litre EcoBoost IEPOTY awards is:

• Overall winner: 2012, 2013 and 2014
    • Best new engine: 2012
    • Best engine under 1.0-litre: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017
    • Sub-150 PS category winner: 2019

I think the following article is pretty fair:-

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/170038/ford-ecoboost-engines-what-are-they-and-should-you-buy-one

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

There’s a Facebook group called Ecoboost nightmares with posts almost daily about cars needing engine replacements.

I’ve read hundreds of threads on various forums about how terrible these engines are.

I’m glad I was able to scrap one. One less on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

These multi award winning engines of which millions have been made?

As I said there were a limited number of early failures and these have been resolved largely at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭User1998

Multi award winning means nothing for reliability tho. They won awards as a brand new car because they have a small displacement engine with high horsepower and low emissions. Not because of their long term reliability.

Volkswagen won plenty of awards for their ‘clean diesel’ engines too. And look what happened to them.

Volkswagen are irrelevant here. They committed fraud and paid heavily for it.

It's an utter non sequitur.

Very strange to have a very active facebook group with over 20000 members for a limited issue that happened years ago.

Very strange that the car featured on BBC watchdog recently for such an old limited issue.

Very strange that Ford were forced to do a recall very recently on a bunch of these cars.

I guess if I google Ecoboom I won’t find anything?

• Advertisement

Advertisement