Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warm roof ratio

Options
  • 18-12-2023 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi all.

Originally planned on 80 mm phenolic above rafters on my extension, but it's probably not possible now due to truss roof size and height restrictions, joining to original house.

If I only had 20 mm insulation above the rafters, would this still work as a warm roof, or hybrid roof. Obviously the rafters will be filled with insulation and VCL under it again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Some of this is covered off by Steve when talking about flat roofs. If the insulation is above and between the rafters then it's a hybrid roof.

You'd need to get the roof engineered so that the DP is identified and you can be assured of a working solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Ak84

The above is from the changeplan.co.uk calculator.

Dew point is in the middle of the rafters. I dunno if this would be a problem.

Anyy thoughts.

I know I will probably have to get an engineer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Is that small cavity ventilated? Presume not. Plus are the rafters factored into that simulation or is that an insulation-only simulation? DP is supposed to be in the insulation. As long as it's well sealed at the membrane then there should be little moisture to condense but bear in mind that a VCL still allows some vapour to pass so that has to be matched at the external finish so that any buildup can escape.

(Not a building engineer btw, just a try-hard 😀 )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

If the top 20mm layer of insulation is phenolic, then, imo, this is an unsafe buildup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Can you give us any more information? Height restriction in which way? Rafter size?

We built an extension with a flat warm roof. Upper window restricted the insulation thickness but a structural engineer speced it and the surveyor was able to fit enough to comply.

• Advertisement

New roof butt's up to original and has to be slightly lower as per drawings. Tight for head height inside the room as well.

Rafter size is looking like 9 inch. Was expecting 5 inch.

I should say this is a pitched roof.

Reason for warm roof was for a continuous insulation layer to meet external insulation.

But kinda looking like a "cold roof" now.

I think the hybrid roof is too risky in any case.

Have done a bit more reading since I first posted.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,084 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you say its a trussed roof, have you asked the manufacturers of the trusses were a closer centers, can that give you a smaller rafter size?

Hadn't thought of that. Will say it to the builder.

Thanks Syd

Advertisement