Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build cost Mayo

Options
  • 18-12-2023 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

We are in the process of getting plans drawn up for a storey and a half, 4 bed house in Mayo. The plans are coming in around 2700ft2. We want to be realistic about what it will cost. We have heard a few different costs per square foot but I know this varies greatly depending on what part of ireland you are in and things tend to be cheaper in the west/north-west.

We are hoping to go the direct labour route rather than with a contractor as we have the capacity to do that. So with that being said, has anyone done a self build in the Mayo area recently and would you be able to advise on a cost per square foot? We know this is only a rough guide but it would be helpful to get people's opinions. Thanks.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Danny healy ray

regardless of the price going direct labour has lots of downfalls with lads passing the buck if/ when problems arise iv come across many horror stories don't rule out getting a contractor to do the hole lot it's his baby then ask a local lad to price it you might be pleastly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Biker1

You might get it done for €200/ft but that will depend on complexity of the build and type of finishes. If you are set on a self build start by getting a QS to price it for you. Complying with all the Building Regulations and Health & Safety will be your responsibility so don't depend on advice from trades in this matter. Also ignore all pub talk "I did it this way and it is fine". I have seen many self builds fail compliance so beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Technique

Donegal would probably be similar to Mayo in terms of price. I've been told €220/sqft (€2,400/sqm) for a house finished to a decent standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

Would that be 220 sqft going with a contractor, or direct labour

Contractor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Donegal1234

Building my house in Donegal atm. 4 bed 2 story and 2600sq ft and going direct labour route.

Just got a builders finish completed and cost 125 per sq ft. House is a very modern design.

What was the scope of the builder's finish?

Foundations, block work and roof?

foundations

block work

roof

windows

plastering inside and outside

electrical/plumbing/joinery first fixes

concrete floor poured

groundswork and septic tank

+ garage built.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Biker1

Would love to see a breakdown on the costs for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭bfclancy2

didn't know there was such a thing as builder's finish when going the direct labour route, who is this "builder" that called stop when house reached a certain stage.

Not doubting it was done for the figure but is the person a blocklayer themselves, brother is an electrician, other brothers a plumber, brother in law is a plasterer and father has been driving diggers for years i wonder

• Advertisement

For the 125sq ft for a builders finish that’s is me barely lifting a finger. None of my friends/family are tradesmen and father hasn’t a clue about building. So would have been much lower if I had any of the above.

Also a builders finish is quite a common term in the building trade contractor or direct labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shells24

Building in Donegal also, can I ask who you got to build?

Advertisement