Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detailed Drawings

Options
  • 18-12-2023 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi guys, I had a nightmare with an architect last year and he ended up refusing to give me construction drawings as I wasn't paying him to inspect the renovation. He said he could be open to being sued if he gave construction drawings but didn't manage build. I think he also left out a lot of stuff that I paid him for. I'm wondering if someone here could take a look at what I paid for and tell me if stuff is missing please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Impossible to say as we don't know what you had agreed upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭BalboBiggins

I have a list of what we agreed and a folder of what he sent me, but it seems to be missing detailed drawings of plumbing, electrics, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What was the original brief? Design, planning, construction drawings, tender package?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,100 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'll take a look if you like. If the contract was clear it should be black and white. Stress on IF and SHOULD. Plumbing and Electrics may or may not be included as part of the scope. More accurately engineering scope, but a house is small enough that a one stop shop could do it.

he ended up refusing to give me construction drawings as I wasn't paying him to inspect the renovation.

He doesn't have to inspect the renovation in to order to provide construction drawings. But the contract would have to be very clear that construction drawings were in scope and inspects were not. It is not common to split the scope there imo.

He said he could be open to being sued if he gave construction drawings but didn't manage build. 

That's not true. Well, at least only as far as anyone can be sued for anything. But there would be zero chance of liability if he didn't manage the build and the contractor did not build to the drawings. Quite obviously provide a indemnifying explanation there.

I paid for the following drawings: detailed design, demolish drawings, existing layouts, proposed plan prop elevations, detail plans, detailed sections, finishes plans, electrical plans, plumbing plans, window schedules and door schedules. Are these all construction drawings? In the tender pack he sent me there were only about 10 pages.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much, could I send you this on PM please? We didn't actually have a contract, just whatsapp messages.

Post edited by DOCARCH on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @BalboBiggins Talk of legal action on a public forum is not going to help your case in anyway. I have edited your post and you may want to consider your future posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,100 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Feel free to send by PM. Redact any details that you think are sensitive if you feel it's necessary

Advertisement