Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Ireland will win this year's Eurovision.

I don't even like the song, but I've many long years in the entertainment industry and I'm calling it now.

I've spent most of today's free time checking YouTube comments and various other forums from across the Internet emanating from all across Europe, including reaction videos, general tweets, Reddit threads etc.

Without exception, since early morning, the European reaction is extraordinary. Her performance, not just the song, but the entire show including camera choreography ( which was outstanding and clearly used robotic, preprogrammed placements and zooms), dance choreography and especially the costume change and the messaging behind it have really captured the attention of European viewers in a manner I've not seen since the buzz behind Riverdance.

Her YouTube video is currently trending on the top spot and the comments on each video are telling a story. In fact, many of the comments are in awe of how she and her producers packed a full horror movie of drama into 3 minutes or thereabouts.

This is gaining more momentum than I would have expected and, as of right now, I am calling it for Ireland based on today's EU-wide reaction.

Sure, many folks here just don't like the song, including myself. But don't underestimate the power of the zeitgeist.

Watch this space...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Riverdance, was an interval act, nothing to do with the contest and was more about dance and performance than the lyrics,

So your point is ridiculous.

As for Bambi Thug, nothing gimmicky about her.

The song is complex, unpredictable and well crafted. The lyrics have meaning and require a real talent to perform them.

The gimmick you refer to is the stage show which added to the performance and its impact it did not define it.

Easily the best thing I've seen at Eurovision in years and I can't get it out of my head today. It deserves to do well on Saturday.

As for your last comment, nothing wrong with keeping the show apolitical. It's a song contest not a political forum.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Riverdance was the interlude. There has always been an act of some kind during the interlude. Riverdance raised the bar quite a bit, but I don't think it changed the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭supereurope

That's not political, that's a statement everyone can agree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,390 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's a stroke of luck Bambie was drawn in the Tuesday semi final - gives Doomsday much more time to build momentum (irrespective of the final result on Saturday).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭yagan

It's all a matter of taste.

If they win then great well done. I won 8/1 on Lordi when most thought it unlikely, but I can still hear their chorus.

I've tuned out of tuneless Eurovision for years but from what others are saying Bambi looks like a good bet currently at 10/1.

I guess what we've got now is the European Spectacle Contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Regarding Israel tomorrow night. I would just love the crowd to totally ignore the performance. Turn their back to the stage, then absolute silence, no boos, no jeers, no clapping, just silence. Would be powerful.

The performers tomorrow night have got as much to do with the violence in Gaza as you and I did with the banking crisis in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Spaceman was shte and the power of the internet would have won it for the UK if it wasn't for the war.

I find Israel being allowed participate deeply uncomfortable while they employ famine as a weapon on a people greatly betrayed by the west.

If the EBU bars Russia then they must Israel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The song is thinly veiled glorification of the genocide in Gaza and it's only veiled because they would have been disqualified without the veil. It would be like saying I didn't cause the banking crisis but I performed a song called "I love Seany Fitzpatrick".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I absolutely despise that song. Something about it and the head on the lad singing it really rubbed me the wrong way.

Maybe it was because we already have a brilliant song in the world called 'Spaceman' by Babylon Zoo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

I think Olly is lucky he get to perform in the semi this year. They have a chance to fix the vocals rather than an all or nothing at the final. It’s funny, I heard him performing karaoke with Rylan on Saturday afternoon performing the song and he sounded grand. It looks like it’s down to the staging. It’s surprising though also as he’s a seasoned performer. I’d have more sympathy for most of the other competitors who might not have a high calibre career outside of Eurivision.

Watching the BBC they fawned over the performance. I think we’re a bit more honest here. There’s no way in the real world you could say that Olly’s performance last night was anything other than mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Looking at the lyrics of original version 'October Rain', it looks to be more about the attack on the 7th of October. Can't see any reference to Gaza in it? Am I not picking up on something in the lyrics?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think it is highly dubious to look at Riverdance for an explanation when you had much more significant changes with the inclusion of televoting, participation of new countries, being able to sing in English, and earlier than that use of backing tracks instead of live orchestra.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm not trying to make you like a song you don't like - if you don't like Bambie Thug, then fair enough.

But your idea that it's now just a spectacle contest is just plain wrong - there are definitely some such big spectacle winners but also plenty of 'one guy with a guitar or a piano singing a love-song/melody' winners as well.

Portuguese winner - can't understand a word but seems rather lovely.

or Duncan Larence for Netherlands - keyboard, M&S jacket and not a special effect in sight.

I can't see it winning then, can you? Turning your back to the performers would not be in the spirit of Eurovision though. The performers who probably had zero say in the lyrics to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sorry but your "spectacle "comment just makes you sound old and grumpy.

Things always develop, change and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Both Marty and Johnny Logan will be on ‘Liveline’ this afternoon!

I said it might be partly responsible.

Even when backing track replaced live music there was still a strong song element to it. Even Lordi had a rememberable tune even if their act was totally gimmicky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

Thee was always a performance element with winners. OK, maybe going way back it was just the song. Dana being a case in point but move onto the 80s and we have Bucks Fizz and the skirt gimmick. I remember Carola winning in 1991 with a good song but she had a few dancers with her and it was a good performance too. Now technology has evolved and you can do more with a stage and countries are adapting and using that. Maybe it’s going too far but it’s an entertainment show and most other entertainment shows have gone the performance and visuals route.

You have 3 minutes to showcase your entry. You really have to use every weapon in your arsenal now, good performance, good song, good staging.

Thank you for fleshing it out. I don't think it is a song contest anymore, it's a variety performance contest at best now.

Ironically given everything happening with Russia and Israel waging genocide we actually need song that inspires and unites rather than style over substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭RINO87

If……Bambie were to win it, where could Ireland host it? The Point seems tiny compared to the Arenas of the last few years. Croke Park would be class, but the weather would likely mean thats a no. How's the Green Glens Arena looking these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

And the "good old days" without the spectacle was not always that great.

All Kinds of Everything is an utterly shte song for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

My kids could not sleep last night after watching the witch. They were convinced they were going to be turned into newts. I told them she would only do that if she didn’t qualify, but now they think she will do it if she doesn’t win on Saturday. I think it’s crazy that we sent a witch to represent our country and music, did nobody think of the kids??

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Libertine07

If you don't like it why do you keep posting about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Not sure the Eurovision is television for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Libertine07

3 Arena has a capacity of 13k which is bigger than Liverpool last year and about the same as Malmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Exorcise the demons by getting them to dress up and play as newts for the final. Get them to vote for someone other than Croatia or Ukraine or someone unlikely to beat Ireland :)

You might want to switch channels during the raunchy UK act too…

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement