Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long should it take realisticly to complete the IBT?

Options
  • 16-12-2023 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

I ask this because I started the course on a weekend in April of this year. I done a day and a half and yes it was my first time driving a bike. I drove 3 that weekend. They said I would have to come back to do more before getting out on the road. It was an age before this happened anyway and last month or the month before they had me back for a day. Then said I needed more and it woukd be within the next couple of weekends but nothing has happened since. It's ridiculas. I have tried to contact them a few times since with no luck. I was really hoping to be on the roads in my Trike now. I paid big money for this and the service has been very bad. I could have done it with another IBT training company and maybe have been finished months ago but I went for this one that has its base in Kinnegad because one of the instructors is local to me.

I am just very annoyed at this stage. I do not even have an actual motorbike I have a Trike with 3 wheels and know it's limits. It's not even very fast only 48kph which is perfect for all I want it for driving around town, doing my shopping bring my dog for a walk and going to my friends house.

I am sick of having to walk everywhere.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

2 days... Start on Saturday, finish on Sunday. I did it with the team in kinnegad too and there was one person there that was doing some extra on bike time and another who they offered more time to... They're unlikely to send someone out on the roads who isn't ready. I was very impressed with their professionalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

At the plaza was it? So you know Tony the boss. Be next year now by the looks of it before I get it 😞.

Yes they are very good. I would have been ready by now if they just gave me the time but at this rate it will be a year since I done my first weekend with them. How is a person supposed to keep goals when they will not help out?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Some dog you have, if you can bring it for a walk at 48km/h

Yeh, Tony is sound! He was following me during the road section and gave me some really helpful tips on riding position and posture...

Ms

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Ms

Thanks but even I could get it done them two days there would be no way of me getting taxed and insured before the 25th would there? It would also mean me paying a second time again. I will just have to wait now 😞 .

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

You can drive a trike on a car license if you have one.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If they keep requiring you to do more training wouldn't that suggest your bike control and other skills aren't of a high enough standard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Its why i had to do another day.

I kept hitting the front brake in slow riding and dropping the bike

They obviously want you to slow down, practice & get the IBT when you're ready for it... You are not safe to be allowed onto the roads. Do you have access to a private space and a bike that you can practice in safety? TBH, I think its a good thing they are holding you back for the moment. To me it sounds like you've done an entire IBT weekend, then an additional day & are lined up for more... What do you expect from them? You need to get yourself to a stage where you can safely ride on the roads, with confidence and not be in a state where you are pulling at the brakes or dropping the bike... This is up to you to get control of & it seems that the instructors are being supportive.

In the middle of Dublin at the time, no i didn't have access to a bike (I did, but it was a r1200gs and Dad told me to feck off) The issue was the bad weather at the time too. I had 3 days of IBT because my first two days were 2 weeks apart due to Ice on the road

This was nearly four years ago btw, I think you're mixing me up with the OP who is doing it now. My problem at the time was tapping the front brake instead of using the rear brake and the front forks would Dive.

I practised the safety checks and all that on a bicycle to get use to it. (Mirror, indicate, over the shoulder, mirror and turn). I had a full car license for years so clutch and gear control wern't an issue

I've done several solo cross european trails since on my bikes and goen from knowing nothing about bikes to rebuilding and fine tuning vintage motorcycles xD

But I am using the rear brake alot more now.

Sorry, I did get the posts mixed up... I still believe the OP needs to get some practice in whatever way they can.

haha no worries!

I do 100% agree though! the bicycle helped alot for me could practise slow riding and all that.

But just doesn't let you get a hang of gears

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

@goblin59

I've done several solo cross european trails since on my bikes and goen from knowing nothing about bikes to rebuilding and fine tuning vintage motorcycles xD

Someday when i have time, space and money i'd love to do that type of stuff. I know enough about bikes and cars to know that i know NOWHERE near enough to do self maintenence... which is something i feel embarrassed about when i meet up with lads on a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

As for the OP, if the IBT guys are saying you need more time then they are saying it with a view of keeping you and other road users safe, they are not trying to get extra money out of you, and i'm not saying that you were implying that.

A while back we had a poster on here who insisted that his IBT instructor told him to go out the road and drive up to his local supermarket car park to practice... without a valid IBT cert. Any instructor i've spoken to would disagree with this. At the end of the day their professional reputation is also at stake when you are out.

My stepson had to go back for a third day on his IBT course, but he accepted that it was safety related and knew himself after day 1 that he wouldn't be ready for the roads on Day 2. He also did his in Kinnegad with Tony, Ger and Eric

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I did mine spread over a decent time span. Price was normal for full thing same as if I'd done it over a weekend. The 2 classroom bits were each a separate weekday evening, and then the on bike part was spread over 4 weekend days over a decent time.

I'd to do more than the 18 or whatever as with all the stopping and starting as I spent a little each time in yard to refamiliarize myself after time off the bike so didn't have enough on road.

The extra time was all road at the end and that was extra but very cheap (like me asking are you sure cheap).

Just on this bit

"They said I would have to come back to do more before getting out on the road."

Do you mean to get the cert or did you only do yard time, how much time were you on the road during the training.

• Advertisement

I got thrown in the deep end for it tbh!

I did my test 6 months after the IBT and went over to my parent house to help with some bricklaying work for my Dad.

was there for about 3 months helping out as he told me he'd give me a DR650 if i did. Turned out it was a rolling frame and a crate with an engine in it from Ebay.

I'd never even done an oil change myself before this, so if I wanted the bike I had to learn to do the wiring, Carb tuning and engine rebuild on the bike. After that we booked a ferry to do a bit of the TET and then I travelled on solo into Italy and done several trips since.

Rebuilding the DR650 in January, I'm putting a navigation mount onto it and redoing the wiring, which was damaged from a few off road crashes. Also changing the headlight and fairing back to the original Suzuki style and then going to do Greece or Croatia ACT

I rememeber that thread. He was very **** you attitude. Didn't care he was putting others at risk and had no insurance

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Depends on when you got it. It must have Class A with code 79.03.

No you can't unless you got the car licence before Oct 2006. You will need to have Class AM on the licence.

OP what is the trike, it sounds very odd indeed? Is it type approved? has it been registered? Whether two or three wheels, if it can't break 50 km/h you are going to get run off the road sooner or later, a 50cc or anything similar isn't safer but is a liability on modern roads.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Itineoman

Brother in law has a trike on the road with insurance. Has a 79.03 license. It’s based on a Kawasaki Vulcan. Not a fan myself of them. Scared the hell out of me when I tried it for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Trikes cunningly combine the disadvantages of a car with the disadvantages of a motorbike 😁

I did see an interesting one at a rally years ago though, a Mini power unit mounted (transversely, natch) at the rear instead of the usual VW stuff or GoldWing.

My wife has class A 79.03 on her licence. She's never ridden a motorcycle or trike of any description.

The whole "passing a test in class X gets you class Y but we don't put that on the licence" thing is gone. Your licence will now (or will, when you renew it) explicitly say what categories you got "for free" and what the restrictions on them are.

Cue lots of people with 79.03 thinking they got a free motorcycle licence... but in the end doing it this way is a lot more sensible and can accommodate weird stuff like people who exchanged UK car licences which allowed them to ride A1 motorcycles but only up to 12hp.

Life ain't always empty.

Ms

As for the OP, if the IBT guys are saying you need more time then they are saying it with a view of keeping you and other road users safe, they are not trying to get extra money out of you, and i'm not saying that you were implying that.

Yes I know that and get that.

I have so far only drove around the car park on the bikes. I knew when I started that I woukd not be put on the roads on the first weekend and have no problem with that. Its just that a whole Summer went by when I could have been doing it and they never got me back till September or October. I would like to be doing it more regularly.

OP what is the trike, it sounds very odd indeed? Is it type approved? has it been registered? Whether two or three wheels, if it can't break 50 km/h you are going to get run off the road sooner or later, a 50cc or anything similar isn't safer but is a liability on modern roads.

I don't know if it is type approved but yes it has been registered. I spent a lot of this year doing that. Not simple and not easy but I got there in the end :) .

It's electric. It's perfectly safe where I want to drive it around the town I live in and out to the Parents.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Another view of my beautiful Trike :) .

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

• Advertisement
    Ms

It's an LMI.

YES I finally done it. I got my IBT Cert today delighted. Tony and the rest of the lads at the Kinnegad plaza were brilliant. Just have to decide if I want go get a full bike license now or not.

Also the nightmare of getting insurance. I have been talking to Carrol Nash and will try Liberty and AXA tomorrow and decide who I go with then. Because my Trike is so rare and unusual I have to ring them can not do the quotes online. So only had time for 1 quote this evening after a lot of messing about trying to get some online.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement