Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ever chance for Aontú to grow?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The exact same thing happened with Renua. It's difficult to believe now but they started out as a respectable new party. They had 3 ex-FG TDs including the impressive Lucinda Creighton. They tried to thread the needle between maintaining their right to vote "their conscious" on abortion whilst also not alienating pro-choice voters who would have been attracted by their more libertarian style attitude to economics. This failed spectacularly and they all lost their seats in 2016. John Leahy, a county councilor took over as leader but the party was already doomed. When he quit in 2019 he said that he had tried to hold back the darker forces within the party and he fear what it would now become. That quickly came to pass when they ran a united campaign with the National party and the Irish Freedom Party in 2020. Today they no longer really exist. Apparently they were renamed as the Centre Party but details of them are hard to come by apart from an extremely generic website with absolutely no information about party leadership. They appear to have control over the Renua twitter page but hadn't tweeted since before this rebranding. Regardless, safe to say that Renua as it was originally envisaged is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I dont agree with abortion. I voted no. I have my reasons.

But clearly more people did. I see no reason to keep flogging it. Its done. The majority have what they want. Thems the rulkes. We all will get used to it.

I dont believe in god either, so thats nothing to do with my reasons, so not going don that rabbit hole.

Who are Aontu?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

They are a small, but growing, political party, with one TD currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

TBH I think Peadar is a shinner at heart and if it wasn't for the abortion disagreement with MacDonald would still be in SF.

I know they are gone now but Renua IMO was more right leaning than Aontu and could have done quite well in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Growing?

They lost every councillor they had in NIs elections this year. They aren't growing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Growing? They've lost support if anything since September, according to Red C; but overall have never made any inroads on 1st preference votes worth a damn. They are political detritus when it comes to voter support.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Advertisement