Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rivers and Canals in Winter

Options
  • 14-12-2023 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Have just moved back to Laois after many years overseas and am dying to get into river cruising. However I have obviously arrived at the worst time of the year :)

Question is do any of you still enjoy exploring canals and rivers in the winter and if so where is good? I dont think anyone hires anything out this time of year so would consider buying something old and simple to play with over winter. I'm near the barrowline of the grand canal that doesnt have any locks so that's an option, is it true all the shannon locks are closed for winter? Do you guys just end up not boating for the whole winter season when things shut down?

Anyone wanting to sell me a basic river cruiser let me know...

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Some information on it here https://www.waterwaysireland.org/things-to-do/boating/78/winter-mooring I'm on a lake and boat all year round, you will need a good heating system and power supply " solar panels and battery bank" as most power points are turned off over winter along with water supply and pump out stations , toilets and showers. You will also need to be able to get fuel to the boat. Best thing to do is go down to the canal and talk to the liveaboards in your area about all the inns and outs, there's also a Facebook page "liveaboards Ireland " It's a lovely idea spending winter on a boat but it's far from easy. PS THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A CHEAP BOAT . 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I remember a picture that used hang on the wall in an ex of mines house. Her father owned a boat. it was a picture of the Oxford English Dictionary, open on the entry for boat. The definition was

Boat; hole in the water into which one pours money.

Advertisement