Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have things gone wrong, and if so can they be put right?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I must say you are completely ignorant as to the level 5 demands of the childcare certificate.

I know as my wife just recently completed hers. It was hours and hours of research, essay writing and activity planning, as well as 120 hours of unpaid work experience in our local childcare facility.

You are right on one thing though. It's ridiculously poorly paid for the amount of work and education involved. Maybe that's why you think they just need to be only breathing? The workers would probably earn more working for Aldi. You should save your scandalised face for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭francois

Social media companies need to lose their free pass and start to be regulated like the mainstream media. Threats involving rape and murder are allowed to proliferate, this wouldn't be tolerated in the press or on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

That’s a good point. The Irish Times wouldn’t be allowed put up videos of Travellers threatening each other for example, but Facebook can, with seemingly no consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

This stuff was always present , the individuals were described as 'shook', ''cracked' , 'bad case of the nerves'and more. It is just getting more recognition now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of course.

I remember years ago saying this. These companies are too powerful and they are objectively not neutral. The thing is, rightists are only complaining because they're not right wing echo chambers. I remember almost being called a communist for advocating regulation.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

There's nothing new about the media prioritising misery. Good news simply doesn't sell apart from the occasional fluffy piece about a hero paramedic delivering a baby by the side of the Red Cow junction or something similar. I can't help wondering if the OP is over egging the pudding a bit. The world has always gone through cycles of war and depression followed by recovery. Compared to 100 years ago you could argue that we're living in the best era ever. Lest we forget, from 1900 to 1945 we had two world wars, which included the worst genocide in human history, and the Spanish Flu pandemic which killed millions. That was followed by the Cold War and the constant threat of the entire planet being destroyed by our own hands. Yet we're still here, many people doing well, many not so much. Same as it ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I agree, theres plenty of good in the world.

I've turned off new sites and heavily filtered out any political and economic content. It doesn't affect me, and there's no point getting sucked into doom scrolling.

The worst thing in most peoples lives is the phrase "that's shocking expensive".

Again, I don't want to dismiss individual struggles that people are going through, but maybe we all need a little more perspective on how good we have it.

I hate to repeat myself, but a lot of people DON'T have it so good, yet you keep suggesting it's only a few individuals going through "struggles".

I mean this with respect, you may need to widen your social circle to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

This is the part that is the really big issue. Imho, Ireland has a long history of mental health issues but they largely went ignored. Now that we're acknowledging them the services simply aren't there on the public system. I needed a psychiatrist last year, it was faster to go private and thankfully I could afford it. Not everyone can afford it is the thing.

On top of that, we've got neurodiverse individuals that are realising in later life. It's either a long waiting list or going private. Autism diagnoses in adult life require you to go private as well. And dealing with this stuff and trying to understand yourself can have a huge impact on mental health tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭randd1

I think society is fu€ked.

We're too greedy, to enslaved to stuff that doesn't matter, like celebrity without talent. Too molly-coddled and sensitive, yet quick to demonise. Intelligent but no real smarts.

There's no real plan for society. No aim, no goal, just keep going until the next election. We achieved what we wanted, peace, prosperity, freedom. And we don't know what to do with it, and because of that we have conflict, debt and entrapment.

We need a collective philosophy, a goal to work towards. What it is I don't know, but I can see my kids and I worry are they going to enjoy their life, are they going to live in an aimless society?

Ideally, for me anyway, I'd like to see a society where everyone is guaranteed a roof, food and have daily interaction with their neighbours and friend, where time in work is reduced to no more than 30 hours a week and we pursue a healthier, more active and happier lifestyle, and opulence and apathy are seen as disgusting wastes of energy and resources, and the accumulation of wealth is banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There seems to be a huge amount of discontent now. I wonder why, is it the decline of religion, too much time on the internet, increase in drug culture.

Mostly the middle one. We're better off without religion and people have always done drugs.

My take on it is a loss of faith in democracy and increase in devisiveness. I think most people are seeing more and more corruption and disconnection from the government as they have to deal with the issues of homelessness, cost of living increases while politicians are perceived as only pretending to give a ****, while everything seems to be strong-left woke and strong-right poplism and faux-patriotism.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

"hours and hours" of research and writing essays does not really help your case here. That sounds quite minimal, and is why it's only a Level 5 certificate.

Did you leave out the 160 hours of unpaid work experience on purpose?

The claim was that all they had to do was breathe, which is hugely insulting.

Advertisement