Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi I am trying to trace a Christmas ad

Options
  • 13-12-2023 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi I am asking about a Christmas tv ad, I think late 70’s early 80’s. I remember seeing discussion on here a numbef of years aho but dont know if solved.......A man goes into a glass shop carrying a bottle of sherry I think. He says he would like a glass for a present and proceeds to pour some of the sherry into diff glasses. When he finds the glass he likes best he says “ that was perfect for my present “ meaning the bottle of sherry he was carrying. He happily leaves with his bottle leaving a bemused sales attendant behind. Would love to trace this particular ad. Thanks in anticipation

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Roald Dahl

I think the ad was for Harvey's Bristol Cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭Tork

Harvey's Bristol Cream was the first name that popped into my head but so far, I can't find the ad on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 criostoirT

Hi tried all that no joy! Thanks

Thought so too but have been searching a long time but no joy

Have you tried asking on any British forums? I'm pretty sure the actors on it were English.

• Advertisement

Yes I have tried as many as I could find but no luck

There's a retro forum on boards. Perhaps somebody there might remember https://www.boards.ie/categories/all-things-retro?utm_source=sidebar_categories

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Bing chat says "This advert shows a man entering a shop and asking for a bottle of Harvey’s Bristol Cream and a glass. The shopkeeper tells him that they don’t sell glasses, but the man insists that he needs one. The shopkeeper then reveals that he has a hidden stash of glasses behind the counter, and gives one to the man. The man then pours himself a drink and says, “Harvey’s Bristol Cream. The best sherry in the world.” The advert ends with the slogan, “Harvey’s Bristol Cream. One instinctively knows when something is right.”

But I can't find the ad anywhere

I think he brings bottle into shop with him. He definitely says " that was perfect for my present" at end in relation to glass. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Visitflix

I've been looking for this ad for years... The bing of the bell above the door... "I'm looking for a glass? Too broad, too long, too shallow... Just Right!"

The man pours himself a Harvey's Bristol Cream and leaves the shop with a " Merry Christmas"

Did you find the ad? I'd love to see it again

• Advertisement

Hi visitflix,

no joy finding the ad but remember it clearly. It must be available somewhere but I have drawn a blank for past couple of years looking for it

Have you tried contacting the makers of Harvey's Bristol Cream? Or maybe some ad agencies? BFI?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Loved that ad, If i remember correctly it was for Sandeman Port.

I don’t think it was sandeman port but I have looked them up in case but no sign

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I don't remember that advert, that was my era too, but I can only offer you the EMVA cream sherry advert with Hinge & Bracket instead, they make me laugh still! If I come across your one I'll let you know.

Thank you Emva v funny

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PaulaCBBC

Hello - did anyone ever find this advert from Harveys Bristol cream about the perfect glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

Wasn't this for Winters tale sherry. They had a theme for a few years of "perfect glass".

Advertisement