Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University jobs

Options
  • 13-12-2023 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I had two interviews for jobs in a university in Ireland. I was very qualified for both jobs and particularly one of them and I also felt I did a good interview but I was rejected within hours of completing the interview. I felt the interviewers had very little interest in what I was saying and I felt the jobs were gone before I even applied... do you have to know someone to get a job in a university. Am I wasting my time applying?

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it depends on the university and the department and job in the department. SOme jobs they only interview for because they have to, others they can't fill as they do not the the right people.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

depends on what job you are applying for in a university - there are loads of different role. Most academic or admin jobs are competency based interviews so get your feedback and check what they said.

I work in a university and no you dont need to know anyone but give more info on the role you are applying for. We have over 2k staff alone - huge variety of roles.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is no way you can know if you were well qualified or not since you don’t know the qualifications, background nor how well the others presented themselves. The fact that you were very far down the line and were quickly ruled out could just as easily have been the catalyst for the quick response as your assumption that the job was gone.

Making these kind of assumptions based on your opinion and the collective knowledge of the internet can often work against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ms218

I know they only interview 5 people. What do you mean I was very far down the line? My request for feedback was gone ignored also. Public jobs are supposed to provide the notes taken in interview.

Has been ignored I mean. Your last sentence makes no sense. You have no idea of my knowledge of the Internet.

• Advertisement

Yes it was a competency based interview which I knew it would be. I requested my notes but so far haven't got a reply.

They just seemed very disinterested immediately. They didn't even introduce themselves, just went straight into asking questions... it was over Teams. Felt odd.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are not going to get any kind of feedback that would give you reason to argue with them, it does not work like that way. If you got quick feedback it is because they were not interested in you, in fact you might even have just been there to make up the numbers right from the get go. It is time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

can you give a timeframe of when the interview happened and when you were advised you didnt get the role as your outline seems very fast. Honestly if you get the feedback great use it for your next interview but just look at these as practice ones for the next interview. We have lots of vacancies in my university - some are filled fast/some are not. Some are very difficult to fill.

I have seen colleagues with all the qualifications in the world fail competency based interviews. Myself included.

If it felt odd then you probably wouldnt have taken the role - trust your gut and keep interviewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Very easy to give feedback that talks a lot and says nothing. I'd have low expectations you'd receive anything useful. But no harm in chasing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

In my experience they value academic achievements more than anything else. If you feel they were going through the motions they probably were. Might also has stronger candidates ahead of you do knows.

Competency interviews are different. You need to practice and prepare for them. I think it's a flawed methodology myself. As an interviewer you can tell straight off if someone has prepared for competency or never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I've been at interviews where the interview board clearly wasn't interested. In one case, they were outright hostile to me to the point of rudeness. In another, I felt they were just going through the motions.

The reason tends to be that they have to go through the motions, and they have already selected a candidate but obviously cannot say so - and the process has to be fair on paper.

It is similar to the situation in procurement where a product has been identified as being desirable but the law requires you to tender. You do so, in the full knowledge that you are just wasting everybody's time.

Advertisement