Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is mileage less of a concern with a 2nd hand EV?

Options
  • 13-12-2023 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'll be in the market for a 2nd hand EV in the next month or 2 (probably a Leaf). I'm seeing some online at the moment that are an OK price, but they're up at circa 150K Kilometers on the clock for a 2018/2019. I'd be avoiding this with a diesel, but I'm inclined to think this isn't as much an issue with an EV, less parts for wear & tear etc. Am I wrong, should I be trying for a much lower mileage EV?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

Electric car still has tyres, brakes, suspension, steering, batteries etc. Arguably these will be more of an issue with a heavier car.

You won’t need to hand oil, fuel/air filter (except cabin) though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Only thing I would want at that mileage would be a battery health check. That would be the biggest expense if it were to go wrong but most are warrantied for at least 5 years anyway.

Everything else should be treated the same as any other car. Some parts will have less wear and tear, such as brakes but the rest will undergo the same stresses as a "normal" car.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I would say more of a concern due to the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

More milage would suggest more battery cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Battery warranty with the likes of VAG group EV will be 8 years or 160K Kms whichever comes first. On a 4-5 year example, 150K Kms will have you with very little warranty left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Why would you be avoiding a diesel that is just starting to be run-in properly at 150k kms?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Most batteries are 8 years.

Not many ways to give the “health check” unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭User1998

150,000km is low for any type of car. Its only 93,000 miles.

Full service history is crucial on an ICE car but on an EV its not as important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭zg3409

I would check warranty. It varies a lot by manufacturer and even by car and even year of sale with recently some manufacturers changing from say 200,000km to 150,000km. There may be age limits. Some cars have bumper to bumper warranty or 3 or 5 or 7 years, done have motor and battery, others battery only.

When car is out of warranty it's worth less and with higher mileage on purchase it will reach end of warranty sooner and so be worth less.

If you do very little mileage you can see car may go out of warranty due to years old before you hit mileage.

If you do high mileage you may edit warranty much quicker. Sellers often don't know warranty small print.

With no warranty you are taking a risk. You hear odd scare stories of big bills and months of off road time if say a motor fails or a weird electric fault occurs and say car stops charging or battery fault is detected.

Advertisement