Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thrush treatment

Options
  • 12-12-2023 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

Okay, so this is possibly a stupid question, and also one I should surely know the answer to at my age. I recently ended up having to take 3 lots of antibiotics for an infection, and got the dreaded thrush. I treated with canesten cream that I already had in the house from previous occurrences. It's a bit out of date, but I checked with a nurse friend who said it should still do the job. There's been improvement but it's still there, and I'm about 5 days in now. Another friend asked me was I using just normal canesten or the one for thrush. I did not know there were different ones. I've always used a one that just says canesten on the tube. So do I go to the chemist tomorrow and ask for a specific canesten for thrush, or should the one I have work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Step two for me in treating thrush is always the canestan pessary. The improvement is almost instant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Oh I've never tried that. I'll pick one up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mam1996

Definitely use the pessary and make sure the canesten cream you use is 2% strength and not the 1%

A course of probiotics would be good for your gut also after all the antibiotics, it will rebalance your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Picked up the pessary today and it's definitely made a big difference. I've been drinking yakult since I finished the antibiotics. I do normally take probiotics everyday, but I've been a bit slack with my supplements in general lately. Must get back on top of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The next time you're prescribed an antibiotic ask your GP to add Diflucan. It's a tablet you take orally that shifts thrush very quickly. You can use Caneston cream to relieve discomfort for a day or two with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement