Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainsaw Beginner

Options
  • 12-12-2023 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I've never used a chainsaw but we've moved into an area where a chainsaw would be handy.

Do I need to do a course or anything to learn how to use a chainsaw? Is it best to start with a lower power chainsaw?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭OrangeBadger

The first few times you use one pick really easy sh1t to do such as cutting rings from a long that you have secured in a log clamp, don't go trying to cut down a tree the first time you have a saw in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

I would say a lot depends on yourself. Some are naturally good with machines, others if they had a saw in there hand for a year would still be rough operators.

If you have never held one before, nor are you used to saws in general I think it would be foolish to just go get one and off you go. A chainsaw is probably the most dangerous hand tool you can pick up. Chains will rip a limb to shreds if you get it wrong and very hard put you back together by the very nature of how they cut.

The coarse will only be dear on day one, you will learn a lot more then just cutting wood, the coarse takes in saw maintenance and chain sharping, amongst other things.

Most important if you dont take on board any other advice is, Please buy at min a proper pair of chainsaw specific trousers. Chances are if your going to have an accident, outside of a tree falling on you, it's going to be that you cut your leg to shreds, the pants will save this from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

I would say a lot depends on yourself. Some are naturally good with machines, others if they had a saw in there hand for a year would still be rough operators.

If you have never held one before, nor are you used to saws in general I think it would be foolish to just go get one and off you go. A chainsaw is probably the most dangerous hand tool you can pick up. Chains will rip a limb to shreds if you get it wrong and very hard put you back together by the very nature of how they cut.

The coarse will only be dear on day one, you will learn a lot more then just cutting wood, the coarse takes in saw maintenance and chain sharping, amongst other things.

Most important if you dont take on board any other advice is, Please buy at min a proper pair of chainsaw specific trousers. Chances are if your going to have an accident, outside of a tree falling on you, it's going to be that you cut your leg to shreds, the pants will save this from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭The Ging and I

Do a course. These are very dangerous machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭malinheader

Definitely do a course. Remember there is no second chance with a chain saw, you never have a near miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

Im self taught when it comes to chainsaws but i think the log holder above is a great tool. It's the small lighter branches that will move when being but and so most likely for the saw to kick. The log holder is great for making the job safer. A good saw maintenance kit is important, sharpen the teeth at every fuel and oil refill. Get a good quality helmet with the ear muffs and visor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,695 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was self taught too. I've 3 saws here and use them regularly. They are lethal machines in the wrong hands. Unless you know someone experienced to teach you, do the coarse. Both my father and uncle had close calls with them. One fell from a ladder while using the saw at full speed and the other sliced off the top of his boot with one. Even to this day, I hate to watch someone else using one.

There are so many things that can go wrong from kickback, the saw getting snagged, trees falling wrong way etc etc. Always use gloves, a safety helmet (very cheap) and safety trousers.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭seanjmc

Thanks for the advice all. Is there any course that anyone could recommend in Wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Common sense is probably the most necessary thing, teh chain brake was huge addition and stops a lot of harm,

I never bought any of the gear so have been lucky, OH hit my knee with a saw years ago and it took months to heal as a chainsaw cut cant be stitched and prone to infection.

Sean, You shouldn't be afraid to buy one, I'm sure you're mature enough to have one,

We 've had a lot of ash trees fall down over the last few year and have sheds full of lovely timber for the stove, I'm just going now to cut up another tree now

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭massey 265

The chain courses can be expensive but are essential as other posters have said ,a chainsaw is a letal piece of equipment.Have the 5 day chainsaw course done here and have all the gear but you just cant be careful enough.Be very wary of the light one handed or battery chainsaws as these are best left to the professionals ,way safer with both hands on saw.My advice is leave the chainsaw work to the experienced lads if you havnt the course done or the proper gear sourced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭older by the day

If you don't do the course at least get a person who knows what to do to show you. The worse thing that can happen is a bad injury. The most likely is you will hit earth or a stone, loose your edge and wonder why you can't cut anything.

Edge is critical. Correct mix and chain oil and as mentioned something to hold the logs firm. Be careful a branch springing back can nasty be even if the tree is down.

Don't be put off, a chain saw when you live in the country is a must

Get advice from someone if you don't do the course

There's a YouTube guy called Buckin Billy Ray that has good videos on chain sharpening. I can't comment on the course for chainsaws but I'd say you'd be best to try get a few hours getting familiar with a chainsaw before doing the course. A good axe (fiskars are good) and a few wedges (available from screwfix) are essential too. Knowing what parts of a branch are in compression and in tension is important. It's easy to get the bar pinched if you're cutting a good size branch in the wrong spot. As for an actual chainsaw, I've a small one, an stihl ms 250 and a ms 660 for cutting tree trunks I prefer Stihls personally. A 50 cc saw is a good all rounder. If you get a petrol chainsaw you'll need to be familiar with how to start them, as in its easy to flood it and it won't fire up for you.

Overall, being able to work a chainsaw is a life skill you learn but money spent on safety equipment is money well spent.running a chainsaw can be quite therapeutic in a way as you've to be so focused on it that you forget about other things that would be on your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,990 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

very dangerous piece of equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

For the love of god- get some training and always wear appropriate PPE- chainsaw chaps are a must.

Get a maintenance course on how to sharpen the chain, and to know that all the safety features of the chainsaw are in place.

I’ve used chainsaws for years - although I haven’t in a while now- and I can tell you they’re a great tool but incredibly dangerous if you don’t know what your doing.

kickback can kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

In all fairness using a chainsaw up a ladder is beyond stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

There is some training done by the folk who do the Safeness training.

The one thing I remember about chainsaws from a professional: the day you don't have 100% respect for the saw, ( in fact he used the word afraid) leave it down and play golf!

Good boots, and gloves, stable footing and never above shoulder level at best.

The heavier/ more powerful the saw the more core strength you need

Its a great tool but ranks up there as the most dangerous

Insurance for a pro is 15-20 k per annum

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I take it you have the cs30-31 course done, Did they not educate you that too handle saws are for in tree work only?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭older by the day

I read the question again, is there any short courses. A bit excessive to spend five days. Most just buy one and read the instructions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Depends what you're using it for. Cutting up timber on a stand where the the cut pieces can fall freely is fairly risk free. Cutting out a partially fallen tree that's leaning on others is tricky and so on. Always watch your footing, ensure nothing to trip over and that you can step away easily. There are dealers about that will give good advice on a suitable tool, in Wicklow there's https://www.jonespowertools.ie/ in Baltinglass. I've dealt with original owner Tommy Doyle there and he's very sound, I think a relative has taken over since but Tommy was still around when I last called. They'll give good advice on courses as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭massey 265

Dont really understand your point but the one handed saws i was reffering to are the ones used mainly by tree surgens-proffessions and these in inexperienced hands can have dire concequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Don't let amateurs tell you burned motor oil is ok for the chain first of all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

learn how to sharpen the chain.

we've all been there, just a few more cuts it'll be fine, producing mountains of dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,695 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Well it was low evergreens around a house. People cut them from ladders the whole time, as the ladder is in a heavy cover so well supported.

It was the other guy on the ground clearing the Cut branches that knocked him. A branch got stuck and he pulled it hard, hitting the ladder and knocking it.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

No such thing as a one handed saw.

Tree surgeons use a risk assessed method that allow them to use a small saw one handed but those saws are not to used on the ground to log timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭deirdremf

'nuff said.

These machines are absolutely lethal, man of the house here has lots of experience, and still had a couple of close calls.

One wrong move and you might never move again.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Chainsaws are for much more than cutting logs/firewood. They are one of the only tools that will cut very complex roofing joints that are way beyond 45 degrees or even a saw that I have that will actually cut 60 degrees. There is no quicker or better method. Think of the 50 pence conservertry roof many of you have. Chain brake is a game changer for safety. The story’s here are like saying I knew someone who had a car and they were badly hurt. They aren’t actually that dangerous

• Advertisement

Kickback is the big risk with a chainsaw but there's good safety videos on YouTube and if you know how it's caused you can avoid it from happening. Like the poster above says, they are a dangerous item if not respected and handled properly but it shouldn't put the OP off from learning how to operate one. For a landowner it's a necessity to be able to operate one and can be a good way of keeping fit too

Advertisement