Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starling in attic?

Options
  • 11-12-2023 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I had a starling in the attic during the summer. It left and I managed to cover up where I thought it had entered. Fast forward to now and there is a visitor again. I can hear it around this time of the evening when I go up to the attic and give the beams overhead a bit of a tap, the past couple of days. Yet to see but can hear the shuffling overhead. Now my query is, would starlings be in this time of the year? I see them during the day on the very top of the roof from time to time. Hoping it's not something worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

From today’s UK ‘Times' newspaper:

Nature notes

The days grow ever shorter. For some people, this can be a challenging time, but it is also a period containing many surprising consolations. One such solace is the sotto voce starling show, which can be enjoyed by those who have starlings nesting in their eaves. As the light dies towards solstice, male starlings start sleeping in their old nesting sites again. When night falls, they sing softly to themselves. Whether practising for spring or just keeping their spirits up, they will quietly work through their entire repertoire: curlews, oystercatchers, hooting owls, barking dogs, reversing tractors. Humans in a room adjacent to the nest will be able to enjoy their own starling carol service. Jonathan Tulloch

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

Just adding to this thread, I had some hedgehog brush fitted recently…back and front gutters. There are also higher gutters on the side of the house, should I have done these too?

Thanks

Advertisement