Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in Dublin

Options
  • 11-12-2023 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a 3 bed house in Dublin. (preferably south Dublin) Budget- under 650k

Is there a right time of the year to buy a house in Dublin?

Any tips for dealing with estate agents, bidding wars etc? Also, what would be the best areas in Dublin to buy a house at present?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭brokenbad

You need to be a bit more specific.....What's your budget for a start?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tribbiani

The max I want to go is 650k and I'm looking for a 3 bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Daft.ie is a good starting point to narrow down your choices.

Do not engage in bidding wars - set a 10% contingency on you max bid (if you can afford it) and walk away if it goes past that.

A lot of unscrupulous Estate Agents love to engage a potential buyer in "phantom" bidding wars to bump up their commission.

There is no "best time of year" to buy a house in Dublin - the seasons don't dictate house prices or interest rates - but if i had to choose, springtime is always a good time to buy a house - evenings getting longer, you'll be energised to start getting work done after the long winter.

Good luck with your house hunting!

Thanks for the info. I've been on this journey for the past 2 months but I previously decided to buy an apartment in or around Dublin 16. Ended up losing multiple bidding wars with prices going way too high for average-sized 2-bed apartments. (around 500k in most cases) It's hard to trust the EAs and the other "bids" that just don't seem to end. It's been a struggle.

Now we decided to look for a house starting next year with all the learnings from the past 2 months. I was mainly concerned about the bidding process but yes what you said should work. Thank you!

Would you have recommendations for areas in south Dublin? I'm looking at Sandyford, Ballinteer, Dundrum, Belmont, Stepaside, Leopardstown, Rathfarnham, and Knocklyon. It's hard to find something decent for around 650k in most of these areas so need suggestions for other good areas I could look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You always have the choice of new builds in Cherrywood: https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin-18/property-for-sale-in-cherrywood

No hassle of bidding war, new build with excellent BER rating.

• Advertisement

These were on my list but the 3 beds are sold out, had called them a few days back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

3 bed detached in a small cul de sac in Deansgrange coming on the market soon, let me know if it would interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

How much Social Housing is there in Cherrywood?

I assume the standard 20% at minimum, but are the council buying up additional stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

It's my sons house.....they have a deposit on another house pending surveyors and sale of their current house. I will see him tonight and ask if they will allow me to pass on their details to you. They are not as of yet committed to an estate agent, just used one for valuation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Rachel31

My parents have passed there home was put on the market it's in Crumlin X I don't know if it's sold as I can't bring myself to even look at it X pm if you don't mind x

Post edited by Rachel31 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

The cheaper areas in the southside are Monkstown Farm to Sallynoggin/Loughlinstown/Ballybrack/Glengeary.

Alternatively around Nutgrove/Ballinteer area.

Even these areas are long gentrified but they would've been traditionally working class/council houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 susanbrooks30

Sorry to jump on this thread but does anyone know Wedgewood in Sandyford/Dundrum and nearby boys/mixed schools? Loooking at a house there and really need some help! I posted separately but didn't any ant replies.. any help would be greatly very appreciated.. tks

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

There are two national schools near Wedgewood. St. Olafs on Balally Drive and Queen of Angels on Blackthorn Drive.

Also two secondary schools, St. Benildus on Upper Kilmacud Road (boys) and St. Tiernans on Parkvale (mixed).

There is a new Educate Together National school near St. Tiernans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GMGFirst

Churchtown, Ballinteer, Dundrum and Rathfarnham really good mature areas to look in. Depending on where you look in those areas, you will definitely get a 3 bed house for between 550k - 650k. However make sure you have budget or at least a plan to renovate as most of these houses are 50+ years old and in need of upgrades. Bare minimum needed is €50k to do basics like flooring, kitchen, bathroom, some energy improvements. If you're prepared to do a lot yourself and don't want a pristine house then you can save a lot. Positives of these areas are that they are mature areas with great transport links. Really solid sense of community too and great schools, shops etc all on your doorstep.

Sandyford, Stepaside, Kilternan are becoming overly built up and Cherrywood is an unknown as currently just houses no amenities really but looks to be going the same way. Huge amount of rental in these areas meaning less community feel as a very transient population. With such high population levels transport is a challenge as the Luas is packed and the roads are backed up with traffic all the time as you need a car to go anywhere when living out there.

Regarding Estate Agents, see which ones are selling in the areas you looking and check on the Property Price Register what houses actually sold for in the last 12 months. Compare the different agents based on their sold prices. Rule of thumb, if the agent got the top prices in the area, avoid houses they are selling as it will definitely be a bidding war. Instead look at the ones that are lower. Also check out Auctioneera.ie and Offr as you can see actual bids. Good luck

Advertisement