Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lufthansa pets transport into Ireland issue

Options
  • 11-12-2023 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Before I bought my ticket do Dublin, I checked to see if Lufthansa is a pet friendly airline by reading their pet policy. Then a few days later I rang them to see how much would it cost to travel from Sarajevo through Frankfurt to Dublin, and they quoted me and told me I need to register my pet before the flight which was ok.

Once I registered my cat, I received a call from Lufthansa to say there’s a ban on pets in Ireland and they cannot allow me to travel with my cat for the Frankfurt-Dublin leg of the trip.

I checked for official guidance immediately and was confirmed by the Irish government that that is not true and that pets can travel without issue.

I then went back to Lufthansa who again told me the same story, then they told me it’s up to the Irish rules, then they told me they can set their own rules (which are nowhere on their website on pet policy) and then they told me if I’m allowed to travel by the airport staff they see no issue in me travelling with my cat. They sent me a confirmation email which again shows confirmation for all parts of the trip except the one involving Frankfurt to Dublin leg.

I was told by other people that Lufthansa has been defrauding people for years taking money for pet travel to Ireland without actually being able to transport pets into Ireland because they dont have a license.

Does anyone know what’s going on? Has anyone travelled with Lufthansa to Ireland with their pet? I’m desperate because I’m running out of time to figure something out

Post edited by Tenger on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Were you hoping to have your cat in the cabin with you? As far as I'm aware, no airline currently serving Ireland allows this, pets have to travel as cargo.

Lufthansa do allow pets in the cabin on other routes, which is probably where the confusion arose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Possibly because you're cat is from outside the eu.

Also rabies has reamerged in the country of the cats organ in the last couple of years.

You would need a passport for the cat it would need to be fully inoculated with its shots.

Quarantined before and after traveling 6 weeks when it arrives I'm Ireland.

So I'd say the airline is correct in what it's saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Pets are allowed into Ireland if the ferry to and from France is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BabyJane17

That is just the thing. I spoke to the Dept of Agriculture in Ireland, they even sent me instructions on compliance check depending whether in cabin or as cargo. I've spoken to people who've brought their over in cabin, just with different airlines. I think the issue is that the instructions changed but Lufthansa failed to update their systems.

The cat is fully compliant, has a passport, all the shots and the EU health certificate. Compliance is not the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Is the pet travelling in the cabin or cargo hold? Should be no issue in the cargo hold, though I would be very reluctant to put my pet in there.

I was planning for in-cabin travel. He fits the size and the weight limitations imposed by Lufthansa so it should really be no issue. I most certainly wont be putting him in cargo. That's my baby, I wont have him traumatised.

The thing is that they have no issue with the in-cabin travel, there's no issue on other flights. Just the part of the trip that flies in and out of Dublin. They wont tell me what the issue is, except that it's the pet travel ban imposed by the Irish government which is 100% not the case. It's so frustrating that there's not even anyone beyond the call centre you can ring and ask for more information. I will never fly with Lufthansa again. Bunch of twats so they are

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's possible this is the issue, I've never seen a pet travel in cabin on a flight into or out of Dublin. Have seen it several times on intra mainland Europe flights several times.

That's not to say it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it. It is possible Dublin airport does not have the facility to deal with live animals (non-service pets) coming through the passenger terminal but it does have the facility when it is arriving through cargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Are you flying luthansa from frankfurt to Dublin, or is there a change I'm airline's in frankfurt. Or a stop over.

I'm flying Frankfurt to Dublin, with Lufthansa. No change. Lufthansa is the airline providing transport.

• Advertisement

they do have both options. For cargo travel, there's a third party provider, and for in-cabin, you book a compliance check and pay the EUR 50 for someone to meet you at customs and check the pet and the documentation. Like I've said, the department of agriculture sent me detailed instructions what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The Dept of Agriculture's rules don't necessarily align with the DAA's logistics capabilities, though. As in, just because the Dept says something is acceptable to them doesn't mean the DAA can facilitate it.

What airline did your friends bring their pet into Ireland in the cabin? Because as I said, I'm not currently aware of any airline that does this, so it would be interesting to know if that has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FPL Partridge

OP

Are you sure the Frankfurt to Dublin flight is with Lufthansa and not a secondary airline, as I was looking to travel in September just gone and I was all booked and then realised that the flight from Frankfurt to Dublin was not with Lufthansa.

I have used them 4 years ago to travel with my dog as cabin luggage from Dublin to Alicante via Frankfurt but it was a Lufthansa plane on both legs of the trip.

I flew in September just gone with KLM from Alicante to Dublin via Amsterdam and there was no issues at all.

Croatian Airlines, TAP, KLM...all fly pets without issue.

I'll try the DAA as well but here's what the Dept of Agriculture said:

Good afternoon,

The Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine has no objection to the carriage of pets (cats or dogs when accompanied by their owners) in the cabin of the plane or as excess baggage when travelling on airlines, however the ultimate decision in where in the airline an animal travels is up to the airline concerned. All pets entering Ireland must be in full compliance with the EU Regulation 576/2013 as outlined on http://www.pettravel.gov.ie/

Kind Regards, 

Live Trade Register.

It's 100% Lufthansa.

From what I hear and could research, pets travel in cabin with all other airlines, no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭delboythedub

Tapair allow pets under 8 kg to travel in the correct container under your seat , any bigger has to go in cargo BUT dublin airport does not have the correct EU scanning machine to check any dog /cat over 8kg and this may the cause of confusion on the matter. Google www.tapair and look at their website

• Registered Users Posts: 2 crophoenix

We also couldn't get our pet registered for in-cabin on the Frankfurt -Dublin leg of the return flight. We live in Ireland and the outbound flight with pet in cabin from Dublin is ok with Lufthansa, but the inbound is not? Go figure...

We flew with Croatia Airlines in the past as they accepted pets in cabin to Ireland, unfortunately as of 2023 they don't operate from Ireland anymore. We also flew with Aegean having pet in cabin on outbound/inbound flights to Ireland and had no issues. We'll be soon flying with our pet on KLM flights (with stopover in Amsterdam). Somebody mentioned TAP and I think also Iberia Express (Spain) are the remaining small number of other carriers that allow pet in-cabin into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Paul O Gorman

So in June I was trying to fly with my two cats to Dublin. I booked my tickets eith Lufthansa and had the exact same as you. I called DAA, called the department of agriculture. On the DAA side, they can’t fly pets outbound in the hold. THATS IT. That is the ONLY restriction that I found. I emailed Lufthansa 100 times demanding that they refund my ticket, having 0 reason to refuse travel for my cats, also displaying no where on their website this special restriction of theirs. Its a nightmare. I ended up finding another airline, HiSky, that flies out of Romania to Dublin, but only 1 cat per person is permitted. So I ended up staying the entire summer in Romania, when I should be home in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cromelex

Airline seems to be making up rules.

I've flown Dublin to Lisbon and Lisbon to Dublin with my cat in cabin a couple of years back, no issue whatsoever. TAP Air Portugal.

They do flights with Lisbon as a hub, if you consider flying through them

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Assis

I’m surprised to learn here that I’m not the only person that has being scammed by Lufthansa!

I’ve booked a week holiday with Lufthansa to krakow from Dublin and I chose Lufthansa as they advised pet friendly. I’ve reserved the space and travelled with my little chihuahua out of Dublin with no issue. On the way back last Friday the 5th they didn’t allowed me to come back to Ireland with my dog due this restriction that they can’t transport dogs to Ireland or Uk.

when I booked the my dog to leave Ireland, them knowing I had a returning ticket, I was never told about any restrictions on the way back. I just learned about it when I was on the checking at the airport. The supervisor at the bag drop off suggested me to leave my dog behind if I want to boarding. I was fuming with his nonsense suggestion. That was absolutely disgraceful and disrespectful.

I had to buy a ticket with KLM for 2 days later and extra costs with luggage and hotel. KLM did their best to bring my pet and I safe back home with no issue at all. Arriving at Dublin airport my dog was very welcome back by the customs authorities.

This was the worse experience i ever had with an airline in my life. I never will fly or recommend Lufthansa ever again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 lucyhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dazed and confused

Hi, I came across this a few years ago when trying to travel with my small dog. My understanding is that Lufthansa doesn't have a license to transport pets to Ireland. I've flown with my dog twice on air France and they are super. At arrival in each airport I present the dog and the passport at customs. I get waved through with no one even looking at the dog. She's never been put through a scanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bringingBóhome

Hi @BabyJane17 and anyone else affected. We're due to fly Berlin - Dublin next week via Frankfurt and we're in a similar predicament. Lufthansa have confirmed our dog on 3 of the 4 legs of the return journey, but not Frankfurt - Dublin. They claim there is an "embargo" and will also not offer a refund. Did anyone have any joy with sympathetic staff at Frankfurt? We're at a total loss. We rescued the dog last summer only because our research showed Lufthansa would give us the option to move back and forth between Ireland and Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I wonder is it a mixed thing or just not valuable enough for them. I have seen cargo transferred dogs handed to their owner in the baggage hall in Dublin. In that case from Sao Paolo via Lisbon.

Advertisement