Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackpowder rifles and general information

Options
  • 07-12-2023 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I'm interested in getting into black powder shooting, mostly for fun but also might get into re-enacting. What's the law around the blackpowder itself, are the firearms treated any differently under the law. Where could I get one, can I own one with a firearms training certificate. And where would I want to look in regards to hobbyist organisations for it?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Very short answer. Move to Northern Ireland where they have a thriving BP shooting community, unlike down here.

Our main trouble down here is getting the BP as it is classified as an explosive under various acts and requires different storage, both at a dealer and possession, transport to and from a range and bringing it into Ireland and whatnot compared to case ammo. As well as ridiculous legislation that makes a reproduction BP firearm as licensable as a regular cartridge firearm.Yet the original pre-unitary cartridge version from pre-1865 [?] can be held without a license...Go figure another brilliant bit of Irish firearms legislation.

Add onto that,it is also killed by the restricted/prohibited firearms legislation.IOW How will you license a 44 Walker Colt repro as a big caliber handgun as it would need a restricted license. Which are not being issued for CF handguns post-Nov 2008.

I'm sure I've missed some other points,but those are the main ones that basically prohibit BP shooting in the ROI.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Yerrman22

Brilliant.. God I love this country but jesus are our laws on firearms and anything that could be perceived as slightly dangerous are so backwards. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭TheEngineer1

How is it that you can't possess black powder as "ammunition" on a firearms license but you can possess smokeless power when assembled into a cartridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

Contact a group in your area, the majority of the members will have muskets already and can help you through that process. I would recommend the Lord Edwards own in Kildare or Loach living history in Meath. Both are good groups.

Advertisement