Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collective Noun for Nerds

Options
  • 06-12-2023 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I came upon an animated conversation in which certain people were characterised as 'nerds'. I probably fall somewhere upon the stereotypoical nerd spectrum myself. Not that such a thing has any solid basis in academic literature as far as I know - the word sounds like a pop culture slang term that some Americans chose to popularise and apply liberally to any collection of ostensibly intelligent, bookish or bespectacled individuals. It can be taken as a compliment as well as an insult and is very context-dependent.

The converation then headed sideways in search of the appropriate term or collective noun to describe a 'plurality' of nerds. In fact, 'plurality' was a contender at first but it was deemed too generic (all collectives are by definition of the 'plural' genepool) so we tried again. A couple of decent options were a 'motherboard' of nerds followed closely by a 'matrix' of nerds. Not wanting to cheat and use google search, I was of the view that boards.ie would surely have a more approprite or 'correct' answer, if such a nerdy title thing exists. Open for answers...

Comments

Advertisement