Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diageo selling beer brands.

Options
  • 05-12-2023 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭

Diageo is looking to sell beer brands including Smithwick's, Kilkenny and Harp Lager, based in Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Surprising news given their plans to build their new brewery in Kildare. Can't be planning just to use that for Rockshore.

Post edited by irish_goat on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Very surprising, 3 brands with a bit of promotion could see huge growth.

Never liked harp but it was very popular.

Smitwicks and especially Kilkenny are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Haven’t seen Kilkenny in a while but Smithwicks is my staple on a night out. Apart from Guinness I’d put those as being the only authentic stuff there have. I know Kilkenny is kind of invented but it is arid 30 years now. The rest of the Diageo beer repertoire is just trendy shíte. Hop House is grand but if she stuck to Smithwicks unless proper craft beer was available

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm guessing the new brewery will be part of the package and will make it much easier to sell.

"its beer brands were a margin drag on the rest of the business"

I wonder if they'll eventually sell Guinness too. Presumably the above sentence also applies to it. Would be unusual for a large brewery to only have 1(2?) brands as well.

Or maybe they'll wail until the St.Jame's Gate land becomes a little more valuable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

Diageo is a multinational focused on international brands.

It is not unusual for them to sell off "local" brands. They see Guinness as a global brand and that is where they will spend their marketing budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

If they were thinking long term they would have all manufacturing away from James Street. That's more valuable as real estate now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭clivej

They also brew Budwiser under licence. That was the number 1 lager but not anymore.

Not anymore. They started making Rockshore to replace it.

In this day and age having 1 brand doesn't do them any favours when up against Heineken, C&C etc though. They've been coasting as the goliath of the stout market for a long time but I don't see that lasting either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It went to c&c which has been part of its precipitous demise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

They built a large new factory on the site a little over 10 years ago, when they consolidated Smithwicks and Harp operations into St James's Gate, you can see the grey clad building near the quays. It had originally been supposed to be built in Leixlip and land at St James's Gate freed up for development. Now we're back to a greenfield brewery in Kildare and getting Smithwicks and Harp out of St James's Gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

"its beer brands were a margin drag on the rest of the business"

Given the high selling prices in Ireland, this is hard to believe.

Of course, they earn less margin selling these beers abroad, where there is more competition.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

How much is the Irish market worth in the grand scheme of things?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

presumably they're holding onto McArdles for the massive profits it generates?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They appear to be selling absolutely everything that doesn't have Guinness in the name..

The Carlsberg licence will be an issue as they (Carlsberg) won't want it going to a rival. Guinness got it in the first place as they refused to have Carling near it when Elders IXL bought Beamish.

They are a potential purchaser of the lot of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

do people actually drink Carlsberg? i though it went out of fashion with Budweiser.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

*Conor McGregor has entered the chat*

...Joking, I presume his pockets aren't deep enough to acquire one of these.

More than drink Budweiser these days. Still semi widely available on tap and very available in off-sales

yeah there's always supermarket deals on Carlsberg cans (in as much as anything can be described as a "deal" post-MUP).

In pubs they've been serving it in fancy stemmed glasses; they were plugging some sort of "unfiltered" version a while back, not sure if that's still around. Carlsberg is fine, inoffensive. I think it has a bit more flavour than Rockshore but I'd have to compare them to be sure, which I'm not going to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I would have thought Carlsberg would be one of the top selling beers in the country no? Guinness and probably Heineken ahead of it I’d have thought. It’s very popular in pubs around my way but that’s probably helped by the fact a few pubs don’t sell Heineken so carlsberg would be second only to Guinness but the main larger sold.

• Advertisement

Fairly sure Heineken is the best selling beer overall, then Guinness. Would guess that Rockshore and Coors Light would be above Carlsberg too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Here is some info, but no brand data:

Interesting, from my own experience I would see virtually no one drinking Rockshore I didn't think it was making any inroads into the market but again maybe its depended on location e.g. its drank much more in Dublin rather than down south.

Heineken's popularity always puzzles me a lot - to me its one of the worst lagers and I'd put say Carlsberg way ahead of it but it seems to be liked by so many.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I was going to say the same about Carlsberg, relative to Heineken... Of the two I would opt for Carlsberg, personally. But I wouldn't feel strongly about it.

I'd rarely drink either these days but I probably have a more negative perception of Carlsberg as it reminds me of teenage friends drinking warm cans of it outside and I was never really able to get a taste for it. Heineken on the other hand was something I always drank cold and on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Kilkenny is a great beer. A bit of marketing would do wonders for it. You don't see it many places on draught or in a can. I was in the local Lidl yesterday (in Kilkenny) and they had all the big brands, including Smithwicks, but no Kilkenny.

what is the difference between Kilkenny and Smithwicks - isn't Kilkenny just the nitrogenated version of the latter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Is it? I haven’t had it in years and you don’t see it anymore but speaking from memory, my impression was that Kilkenny was really smooth and just very drinkable whereas Smithwicks is a bit more robust as you’re driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭JPup

Kilkenny is quite different to Smithwicks. Kilkenny settles like a Guinness and has a thick head.

Considering people here will argue over a preference between Carlberg and Heineken or Murphys and Guinness, which I don't think I could reliably tell apart in a blind taste test, there is a much bigger difference between Smithwicks and Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

Kilkenny is a very nice beer, I don't think Ive ever had it on draft really as its more of an export beer from my understanding. I would be a Guinness drinker primarily with Smithwicks as a fall back but I think Kilkenny is probably nicer as is smoother. It also really works well in cans, seems to work better than Guinness from a can to campare it with another nitro beer.

I must keep an eye out for a few cans for over the christmas actually.

Advertisement