Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best or Shittiest gift ya received from work at xmas

Options
  • 02-12-2023 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

Use to work for Lidl. They use to give €50 euro voucher for (drum roll) Lidl. Miserable shower.

Post edited by Breezy_ on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You'd get a fair haul of good stuff with a 50 euro voucher for Lidl.

In all fairness, it would be odd if they gave you one for Aldi, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Not so bad, you're guaranteed to spend it over Xmas.

I got a golden disks voucher from a relative. Haven't bought a cd or a dvd in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Tork

A friend of mine got a box of USA Assorted in the post from his employers. We worked out that postage on it might've cost even more than the biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

We get sweet FA so count yourself lucky to get anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

A parrot onesie in the office kris kindle. As in a brightly coloured onesie with a tail and parrot head on the hood. Like, WTAF? Never found out who gave it to me.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

Can you use it in Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My daughter worked for a large rich American company. They gave her a hamper with drinking chocolate and a few mugs in it.

I never got anything at work. (DOD)

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I received a packet of hard boiled sweets in an office Kris Kindle once. The budget was €15 to €20, I spent in excess of this but received the pound shop bag of sweets. It could've been worse, one of the girls received a pen knife. Thankfully the kris kindle was not continued during covid.

Post edited by angel eyes 2012 on

Working in the public service, of course you get nada from your employer, the State, or an agent of it. However being in a public facing role that was seen to be helpful, we got boxes of chocolates, biscuits, bottles of wine. The edibles were opened in the staff room and the wine was raffled among us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Archeron

I once had something i owned taken from my desk, and received it back wrapped, as a kris kindle. Somebody else that year got a mop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭nachouser

I once received a novelty cigarette lighter for Kris kindle. It kinda amused me that whoever gave it to me boiled my entire work place presence down to "he smokes."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I knew a fella from Offaly that used to always get a Christmas blowjob from his boss but no voucher or anything like that.

It was his own fault to be fair. We had always advised him in college against going home to join the family business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

That's a great gift in my book. It's something practical you can immediately use. The worst type of gifts are those that you've no use for like a book, clothes, or scent that you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I wish my employer gave us edibles for Christmas. That'd surely get us Merry!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

50 squid would get you 3 decent bottles of wine or 5 plonk bottles- that’s not at all bad considering many large corporates would give say two bottles worth about 30 squid in total- you actually did well there.

What I’m noticing now is that Christmas party budgets are completely slashed so you end up going to a Christmas party and it actually costs you money - very limited drinks vouchers and cheapo budget menu.

There are definitely signs that more job losses are on the cards for 2024- I’ve never seen some of the corporates I know and others I know who work for some of them being so stingy. There’s definitely more sh1te coming for 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Got a Smirk off someone for helping to deliver their Christmas presents to them from others on St Stephens day.

No more than a Smirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Breezy_

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sadgilmore

I got a bar of Lidl chocolate, little packet of trail mix for Kris Kindle at work once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Current employer has given us a One4All, usually 150 each year.

One year it was accompanied by a wooden gift box with two bottles of wine.

Very gratefully received.

I'd be quite put out if am employer didn't offer some sort of gesture

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Thankfully the kris kindle was not continued during covid.

Ahh! It’s just occurred to me that was probably why there was no Secret Santa the last few years where I work either, d’oh! 😖

Usually do alright at Christmas to be honest, can’t remember a best and worst gift, but the Sports and Social club organises the Secret Santa and sends a voucher for One4All, and the company sends a voucher and a hamper which, I’ll be honest it’s some really expensive stuff, but I don’t eat weird cheeses and I don’t drink wine, so they started offering a choice of wine or minerals, I’m happy 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 weary1

Once got 2 bottles of nice wine in a presentation box, from my employer.

Would not take part in a Kris Kindle, its totally against spirit and good will at Christmas.

Seems like an opportunity to pass around insulting messages under guise of a present.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Best… was some Brown Thomas vouchers….can’t recall the amount…. I got a nice designer jumper in the sale for 85 squid, still have it. Must have been vouchers for 100 quid..

Worst… a card and a 15 euro bottle of wine in a bag….during the recession we just got the card.

the wine giver was spending thousands on providing their most valuable clients with big fûck off hampers and good sized boxes of chocolates to all the medium revenue lot…all staged in our stores ….yet here we were with a cheap bottle of plonk and a card in his PAs handwriting….. the cûnt couldn’t even spend 15-20 minutes or whatever writing 60 cards…

To Mark

thanks for your work this year

have a great Christmas,

Jim Kelly…

20 seconds a card…..

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭lmk123

Not Christmas but a few years ago somebody was finishing up and our boss asked how many of us would be around on the friday morning so she could order some food for us all to sit down and talk **** and say good luck etc. 7 of us said we’d be around, she got 6 sausage rolls for 7 of us, I went to the nearest petrol station later that day and they had an offer, 6 sausage rolls for €2, the most perished b***h that ever walked

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I don't think I've ever gotten an actual xmas gift from an employer. I've gotten bonuses.

I remember in a secret santa, a girl I worked with got a bar of soap. Just regular soap from a supermarket. Nothing fancy about it at all. And she didn't even smell bad so it's not like it was a hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 reactadabtc

A couple of years ago have us a E500 One4All voucher then another one in January. Getting around the rules a bit of the tax free limit, which meant they couldn't give a voucher the following december. I appreciated it nonetheless, but left in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

Got a free two course lunch and two pints off the boss for our Christmas meal. There was about 10 in the office, so that was beyond generous I thought. The previous boss wouldn't go on the lunch for us, but he'd drop in €200 in the kitty for the meal, which was grand too.

The worst I got was a novelty cheese grater. To be fair, that was during the recession and we had put a €5 limit on the Kris Kringle in work (I had put in a box of chocolates).

The best I got was off Dunnes. They used to give you Dunnes vouchers, depending how many hours and months you had worked that year. I think it was €250 I got. This was 20 years ago, and my Christmas, was pretty much sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Hungry Burger

A 30 quid Dunnes voucher that you had to download an app and jump through a load of different hoops to redeem and no one could get it to work… miserable shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭victor8600

I am glad I do not receive any Christmas gifts from work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

I got a Garda notebook.

Because I bought all my work clothes in Dunnes, and went through a phase of only wearing navy trousers, and blue shirts .

Never even registered til I got that 😂

Advertisement