Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiles in whole house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭herbalplants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭lau1247

I tiled the Kitchen, hallway, downstairs toilet and utility room. The ensuite and main bathroom came tiled with the house, didn't change those. Living room is wood. Stairway and all of upstairs (bedrooms) are all carpet.

Regarding OP's concern:

• No cracks yet after 5 years, there are the odd chip which was caused by dropping things.
    • It can be a bit cold in winter but a slipper will sort that very quickly.

From my observations/experience:

• Summertime is great without slipper (I've always used slippers either way)
    • You'd be surprise how quickly a room get dirty with dust, hair, etc, very noticeable when it is tiled in a good way that it prompt you to clean it (i.e. not hiding it), I just can't stand the thought/idea of walking about barefoot picking up all those stuff and then go to bed etc.
    • No creaking (or warping) unlike wood.
    • Larger piece of tile in somewhat conservative colour does generally look nicer, If you have young children, tiles in kitchen is a godsend, so much easier to wipe and clean.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I have wood effect tiles in the entire downstairs.

Nice seamless look and I've a rug in the living room and hallway.

Underfloor definitely helps a lot, they're never cold to touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's subjective and comes from a mindset of cost rather than taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

If you read it properly you'll see it's the exact opposite.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

For the love of god, don't use white floor tiles. And definitely not white grout.

I made the mistake of installing white floor tiles in my bathroom and they show every speck of dust. I have to hoover and wash them every single day. I'm planning on redoing the bathroom next year, and cannot wait to get rid of the white floor tiles.

"No matter which tiles you choose or how well it is done it's going to look like you got the tiles cheap or for nothing if you tile the whole house"

You say "you got the tiles cheap or for nothing" I say "that looks amazing" or indeed, "that looks terrible", I look at it from an aesthetic point of view and you look at it from a cost point of view, but that's ok! It's what you think when you look at a tiled house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have all-tile in my house (previously1997, then 2007) to date.

UFH is your friend.

If you don't have that, they there would need to be at least 125mm, and preferably 150mm of floor insulation under your screed, otherwise yes, will be cold.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

No, you haven't mentioned aesthetics, practicalities, types of tiles (stone, porcelain), pros, cons, etc... You've been no help or given any advice. The one thing you concentrate is that it looks cheap if you tile the whole house which is of course untrue and the same goes for carpet and wood!! Nobody assumes someone has got carpet for cheap or for nothing if they carpet their house, nobody assumes someone has gotten wood for free if they floor the house with wood! These are ridiculous assumptions to jump to.

At least I've been helpful and given experienced advice!

If you answer with "If you read it properly you'll see it's the exact opposite" I'm going to assume you don't have a proper answer, are incapable of discussing the topic, remain unhelpful and are actually trolling at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭SharkMX

My parents tiled the hall, kitchen and living room about 20 years ago.

Never had a problem with cold or anything, but its a big job now to lift those tiles and replace with something modern. They really, really look terrible. Tastes have changed over the years and those tiles really show it.

It's a messy job taking up properly fitted floor tiles but another option is you could put any new flooring (including new tiles) on top of the tiles that are there if the external doors of the house have enough clearance at the bottom or can be adjusted. Any internal doors should be easy enough to take a shave or slice off of.

Advertisement