Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Ireland’s most eco-friendly house?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Events, dear boy, events....

The famous quote from Harold MacMillan when asked what was the greatest challenge to a statesman.

We have an adverse possession claim on the site (one of the neighbours is claiming squatters rights). Had a call from my solicitors this afternoon. Not sure of the legalities yet but seems the vendor wasn't being entirely truthful in the legal pack.

Never a dull day in the property development game. Watch this space........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Ohh, that's terrible....but I suppose you can still be working away with your plans until this is sorted out.

I believe if they are claiming 'squatters rights ' they must have been using the land continuously for 12 years, without the knowledge of the owner, hard enough to prove before the courts for them. Start proceedings immediately

The solicitor is having kittens, I'm not too worried. According to the law, 'it has to be secured and in continuous use'. I can have half a dozen affidavits in front of a judge tomorrow stating otherwise.....

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭gk5000

Let the vendor worry/pay for any legal issues. Not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Oh yeah, and if the person who sold it to you were aware that it was being used, then they have no claim.

• Advertisement

Hello again,

The rusty wheels of justice have been resisting any sort of movement on this deal but it finally looks like the site is mine.

Still haven't resolved the squatter problem yet. They haven't lodged any claims with the Land Registry so I believe it was just a ruse by one of the neighbours to try and buy the site cheaply. Going to try meet with them soon to find out how I can keep them onside for the duration of the project and beyond. I've been advised that money is only way to deal with this problem.

Next hurdle is getting planning permission. The 'Local needs' rule applies which is just a form of discrimination that prevents Dubliners from outbidding locals on any land deals. The No. 1 rule is that only persons who are actively engaged in agriculture, horticulture, forestry, bloodstock and peat industry will get permission. Luckily for me, I've been a chicken farmer since the onset of COVID here in Dublin and plan to continue this at the site. It was a great decision to make back then and we continue to reap the rewards. Everybody, with a garden, should keep chickens!

However, it will be a new build on a conservation site so I need to get initial approval from both the Westmeath Conservation Officer and Heritage Officer before we do anything. If they are on board, I have a local Councillor who has agreed to help me get this through. As with everything in Ireland, it's all about who you know.

Onwards……….

Advertisement