Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gets you up and at it in the morning ?

Options
  • 02-12-2023 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

What gets you up and at it? If very early why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

I look at me phone for a bit, then look forward to coffee and more phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I just wake up and know sleep is over, I’m not tired enough to turn around and sleep anymore. Hunger is a strong motivator to get me up, and things I have planned for the day.

Or during the week work gets me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Because there are so many wonderful things for me to do and learn and experience. As for early: Not enough hours in the day so I get up early to fit more in, usually with a 10 or 20k run starting around 4:30 or 5:00.

And a constant desire to be a little better today than the person I was yesterday. Whether it be some physical or mental or emotional threshold - I want to push it a tiny bit further each day.

And I only have this one body for my entire life. I do not want to leave it lying around unused. I want to find out what it is capable of. New ways to move or balance or feel. Whether it be through excercise or dance or martial arts or more hedonistic pursuits of sex and food and drink and pleasure.

And then there is my kids. I look forward to each new experience with them each day and what they/we are going to do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Readjusting my pillow and reading that again.

Now, where did I leave those cigarette papers!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭ottolwinner

Some great comments and great to see such motivation in the mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

Tea, made in the pot. Strong enough to float a horse shoe on.

Ah yea. I’ve just made a pot myself. There’s a big difference between the pot and a mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,714 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Knowing that I'll regret it if I don't get up

As in you’d feel you wasted the day? Or would fall back asleep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tommythecat

My 3 year old.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Your auld one.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭sugarman20

I always wake up with a raging clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

The dawn shot and away for road for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Interested in the work I do - every day is a new day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

First I close my eyes and take a deep breath. Then I create a picture in my mind. It is always the same picture. I am lying in a glade near a brook while a gentle breeze licks my face and makes me smile. Birds fill the sky with song as I lounge beside the brook with my golden Lab and watch the fish as they jump out of the water and back in again. I walk leisurely to the water and take a long, deep drink of it, and it is always clean and cold and slakes my thirst. Then I lie down again on the grass and let my golden Lab lick my face, and then I wrestle with him and laugh. Then I open my eyes. This part of the ritual takes about fifteen minutes. It never fails to clear my mind, as an eraser clears a busy chalkboard

Then it is time for my body. I stretch, beginning with my calves, and then, without hurry, add to the stretch so that it spreads all the way up my body and finishes with the neck. This is crucial, since I hold most of my stress in my neck. I make sure each stretch is slow and deliberate, and as I perform the stretches I listen through head-phones to the calming strumming of the zither, the most relaxing of all musical instruments. With my mind in a state of cheerful slack and my body loosed, it is then time to work on my soul. I take out six two-milligram bars of Xanax and slowly swallow them. Then I reach into my back pocket to find my flask, which is always filled with Wild Turkey 101. I upend it into my mouth and drink until I have to stop to gasp for breath. Then I vomit. Then I close my eyes again and think about the dog and the stream and all that ****. Then I punch my neighbour in the stomach and begin work.

NmcD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

One dog flips my arm up, from the side of the bed. Another dog jumps in between the two of us, places both feet on herself and pushes me out of bed. It’s pee time and food time 5.55am every morning.

tea at 6.05am, washing on dishwasher emptied and breakfast for herself started.

weekdays in work by 8, weekends calls to family early then house cleaning organising fixing. Today it’s Christmas lights.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Make a rollie and coffee. Check the news and boards while lying in bed. Smoke and drink coffee.

Consider what time I'll start work (some time between 8 and 10 am, usually from home).

I'm never hungry in the morning and rarely have breakfast.

It's a hard knock life, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rowantree18

Jesus - are people still smoking inside their actual living space.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Toby the Jack Russell usually squeezes between myself and the OH in bed looking for cuddles. I’d get up eventually and do a light breakfast for the 3 of us before taking Toby for walkies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m not an early riser. I’m a night owl and always been comfortable with that.

So when the morning arrives it does take a serious amount of effort to get me out of bed…i don’t sleep enough. I’ve a very loud and annoying alarm on my phone….

But I absolutely love being up late, listening to music, watching TV, reading, boards, the odd bit of gaming… and thinking ! Compared to the day with all other distractions and the white noise of life… it’s really pleasant to work out plans, to solve the odd issue or problem in your head… to appreciate all the positives and to carefully see the odd iceberg that isn’t always visible when we are distracted….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

BBC RADIO 4

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Jumping in the sea a couple of times a week first thing sets me up for the day. Every day in summer but with these darker mornings it's mostly just the weekends as can't squeeze it in before work.

I'm a night owl too, and have always struggled with sleep routine and insomnia (😩).

Although, I find I can flip between very early or very late rising, but not in a consistent way. The 9 to 5 job hours never suited me, and my mind does tend to come alive more in the late night, if I have had enough sleep (9 or 10 hours of sleep suits me, most of the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

You can let you hair down on this site. It's ok.

LinkedIn is over there --->

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

As in I'd feel I wasted some of the day, or that I started the day with the feeling of "why did I stay in bed so much longer after the point I felt like I'd enough rest... I should have known better".

Wasted enough of the day today already. I had to give my dad three lifts... one of which involved waiting for him for half an hour in the cold. He's off the road for medical reasons even though he's perfectly capable of driving. Had to to wait because he bumped into a friend that he hadn't seen in a while. As we were standing in the aisle he asked "would you mind waiting for a bit while I had a coffee with her?". I said "sure" and the lady laughed at my response because she knew I couldn't say no. Said he'd be 5 minutes! Of course I owe all this to him but it's bloody annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Field east

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

A nice cappuccino for me is another one I forgot to mention earlier. A nice caffeine kick to start the day.

Advertisement