Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht vs Leinster Sportsground Saturday December 2nd 7.35 live on Rte

Options
  • 01-12-2023 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Connacht: Tiernan O'Halloran; Mack Hansen, Byron Ralston, Cathal Forde, Diarmuid Kilgallen; JJ Hanrahan, Caolin Blade; Peter Dooley, Dave Heffernan, Jack Aungier; Darragh Murray, Oisin Dowling; Cian Prendergast, Shamus Hurley-Langton, Seán Jansen.

Replacements: Dylan Tierney-Martin, Denis Buckley, Finlay Bealham, Niall Murray, Paul Boyle, Michael McDonald, David Hawkshaw, Conor Oliver

Leinster: Ciarán Frawley; Rob Russell, Robbie Henshaw, Charlie Ngatai, Jamie Osborne; Harry Byrne, Ben Murphy; Ed Byrne, Rónan Kelleher, Michael Ala'alatoa; Ryan Baird, Jason Jenkins; Max Deegan, Scott Penny (capt), James Culhane.

Replacements: Lee Barron, Cian Healy, Tadhg Furlong, Ross Molony, Jack Conan, Cormac Foley, Liam Turner, Will Connors.

Looking at the team selections I would have to say a Connacht home win. So many of the Leinster first choice players are not starting while Connacht, bar a few players, look pretty loaded.

And yet there is no such thing as a weak Leinster team. And the betting firms suggest that Leinster are heavy favourites. And they don't offer odds out of the kindness of their hearts.

From a personal perspective I'm not feeling at all comfortable about this game. Something in the back of my mind is saying it's not going to go Connachts way.

I can't put my finger on why that is the case but it is how I feel. What impressed me most about Leinster is there absolute ruthlessness to win the ball no matter their team selection. They simply overpower the opposition.

And yet Harry Byrne as an orchestrator would not fill me with any confidence in a Leinster win. And to be fair about it I don't think JJ is exactly inspirational either. Yes his penalty kicking is better than Jack but otherwise I don't think offers much else. So I think Connachts woes continue until they find a player capable of orchestrating what is a very capable team.

And that is my fundamental problem with Connacht. The bones of a great team but nobody to guide the ship.

Post edited by ElisaAtWar on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Think the bookies have this as a 3 point game since the teams were announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Connacht have went less full strength than i would have expected. Although possibly a connacht fan will correct me and my idea of their depth chart is out of date.

I think they could still win this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kita99

The deffence of Connacht is quite stronger than last season. I think that key players of this match are Jansen and Ralston.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I’d say the front five is second choice and centres are too but forde would be really pushing for first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

It's an interesting call to put in, as you say second choice players, to begin the game. But when you think about it gives your first choice players ample rest. And you can also make the changes at any point in the game should the game be going the wrong way.

Obviously such a policy would work best when choosing the pack as compared to the backs but I'm all for this idea. It works on two levels. It rests players in the most attritional areas of the team while having the impact off the bench IF AND WHEN required.

And just to add to that I think maybe this is the first year I can remember where Connacht has the squad depth to do this and be comfortable with such a decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,721 ✭✭✭✭phog

Chris Busby to ref tonight's game

I like Donnacha O'Callaghan but this continued waffle that Jack simply introduced JJ into Connacht rugby so he can gracefully take his place is the greatest load of bollix I have listened to. And every game he says the same thing. Would drive you bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

So it's time call it before it happens and I am going for a bonus point win for Connacht with Leinster simply being unimpressive because of their team selection.

So let's discuss afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Byrne turned over after a poor attempt at a clearout by Henshaw. Leinster lose the lineout and Scott Penney makes a full stretch tackle on the far touchline, super tackle on the replay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

TOH is up for this anyways

Phenomenal recovery from Bladey there

TOH off injured. Leinster lineout has been very shaky, three poor ones in a row including one steal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Line out shambles from Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I must concede that is some score

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Hanson, steaming through and brilliant pass to Hawkshaw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Leinster haven't woken up this morning yet. Great stuff from Connacht.

Brilliant try. Ralston burnt the winger.

Another one gone... is Kelleher the common denominator, he's looked ropey before? It was a shocking throw, at head height for the Connacht jumper and was meant for the tail.

Connacht punish them with a super try! Hawkshaw and Hansen did well. Connacht deservedly ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Fair work rate from Jenkins there to get back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Kelleher's darts are poor again. He needs to sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,721 ✭✭✭✭phog

Only to assist him with a push over the line to score 😂

Lovely kick from Byrne and chase by 14 there

Need a big defense here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Connacht are showing their intent in a big way with this scrum.

Leinster are like a rabbit in the headlights.

They are playing very poorly for the 15 minutes of this match.

Great hit from Bladey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Lack of composure and ideas there.

Not sure what Byrne did there to give it to Blade, lost control again with ball in hand. Leinster not taking the 3...

That's super defence from Connacht... shoulder to the head by Ngatai...

• Advertisement

Ah shite this could be bad news

Advertisement