Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do you get out of a pair of runners?

Options
  • 01-12-2023 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I'm currently hitting nearly 1000km on a pair of Asics and they are starting to show a bit of wear, truth be told. But they are still fine in general.

But I reckon I'll get another 200km out of them before I start using them for a mucky parkrun.

But Garmin have been telling me since 700km that I need a new pair. Is this just a money racket?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Trevorfromtheshoppingcentre

Probably depends on your footfall ot the type of shoes you wear. I start to feel the impact of the ground a lot around 600km.

Gets expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Depends what you mean by "fine" really.

Bear in mind that you will get used to a pair of runners as they degrade, so the current performance from them will feel normal, even if they are actually giving less support than they did when new.

It also depends what you term as "wear". Some people mean the appearance of the runner itself and if it has holes or chaffing, when others have runners that they consider worn in terms of foot support but otherwise look perfectly fine aesthetically.

For myself I replace runners after 800km, and I do notice soreness starting to creep in around the 900km mark. I probably could squeeze more out of a pair of runners but when doing long runs I would rather look after my feet than save a few pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

The cynic in me thinks the whole 800km (or whatever) lifespan of a given running shoe is just marketing designed to make you think you need to purchase new ones more regularly than you actually do. I could be (and possibly am) wrong about this but I've put in easily 1000km+ on my Novablast 3s and probably about the same on my Rebels and will continue to use them as to me they feel the same. I'll change them once the grip at the bottom wears out properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mrshopkeeper

800 -900k for me as well. As a child of the 80s I'm hardwired to squeeze the last mile from them. Start to feel more post long run aches and pains after about 650km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I change mine after 1000km....random number picked out of my head and probably psychosomatic...bit I'll stick with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭sk8board

Most importantly with modern shoes - the shoes are dead when the foam is dead - not when the outsole is worn (unless you’re particularly hard on shoes)

I track all shoes in Garmin and set the limit at 1000km. I feel it in my knees when the foam goes, but always seem to get around 950km ish.

70kg for ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Novablast sole tends to wear quickly but plenty of life in them with regards the foam.

Found the Nike tempo next % had great life if the air pods hold up and the sole underneath doesn't split. Nike were too hasty in getting rid of that model.

Advertisement