Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Tractors in Cold Weather

Options
  • 01-12-2023 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

What tips/tricks do people have starting a tractor in cold weather? The frost reduces the power of the battery making it hard to start some. Do ye disconnect the battery or take it out.

Post edited by greysides on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Danny healy ray

a spray of Easy start into the air breeder is always helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

A hot air gun ( the kind you use to strip paint) im the air intake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Often an old duvet thrown over the bonnet at night was one I saw once. Park in a shed even with cattle. The have some heat to help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A high speed starter is a great help, the smell of easi start is a smell I've never forget

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

I stick heater under the sump, leave it for 30 mins. Works wonders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

I remember an uncle of mine used to laugh at people covering the engines of cars with coats. Said a waste of time unless you put something on the ground as most of the frost. comes from the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

In cold weather like this we close the end doors of the slatted shed to keep the heat in and stop drinkers from freezing. We also park the 50B in the feed passage and turn on the kill switch. Unless it gets very cold there is no problem starting it the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭emaherx

Maintenance is key.

If a tractor won't start and it's still above -20 then there is something wrong with it, but parking in a shed definitly can help though.

Obviously we can all get caught out by a sudden cold spell and not be aware of the issue till it's too late but if it's consistently an issue in every cold spell every year then fix it. A good battery, starter, alternator and heater plug is usually all it takes. A high speed starter will do wonders for older lazy engines.

This cold weather shouldn't knock the life out of a battery and disconnecting it will do nothing unless there is parasitic draw from the tractors electrics.(Alternators are likely culprits but not the only possibility.)

I always have batteries charged in the shed from the solar pumps, which have come in handy along with a decent set of Jump Leads, just wheel out on a sack truck jump tractor and put on charge in case of issue the next day. I also have a 240V booster but that is of limited use unless tractor is near power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A second battery and a strong set of jump leads is always handy if the battery is any way weak. The more copper in the jump leads, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Good loser

If battery lets me down once I change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭White Clover

Always check connections before blaming the battery. On older tractors they are often in poor condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭coffee to go

I remember my grandfather doing this to his Micra. One morning he forgot about the coat, started up the car, and drove around town happily until the coat had fully wound itself into the timing belt. Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

That woukd be just the fan belt

A coat will do nothing

A coat works on people as me make heat and the coat slows the heat leaving us

With no heat source the temp will be the same both sides of the coat after 20 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It helps if you can keep the tractor in a closed shed with door south facing. A few hours in the morning sun (it's usually sunny in frosty weather) will lift temperatures that bit.

Hot air gun down the air intake also helps.

I always turn engine for a few secs then wait a while and try starting again. I heard once that a small draw on battery for a while, gets it going.

Also check whatever pre-heat mechanism is on the tractor. Mine has a small Heat plug on the intake manifold. Also a screw on the injector pump to advance diesel injection.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

It's a long time now, Since man landed on the moon.(if you believe it) how is it a frost resistant windscreen has yet to be developed? Or has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Odelay

In my experience cold weather will always test a battery. Just look at your local motor factors in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Lads, should a fully functional heater plug be warm to touch when ignition is turned on? There is voltage at the wire to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭White Clover

It should be glowing red. Sounds like the heater plug is goosed.

Voltage 1.3v when ignition on at wire

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Unidentified user

Wiring issue.

• Advertisement

Presume voltage should be about 12v at heater. Must be short somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭orm0nd

a coat or similar was often used to stop a warm engine absorbing dampness from the ground , back in the days of points and distributors, early edition morris minors were culprits

nothing to do with cold start

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

"stop drinkers from freezing"

Hehe, I had an image of hobos slipping in to your shed at night with gallons of red biddy.

What sort of tractor?

A modern machine may have an automatic glow plug(s) that would turn on for a few seconds then turn off when ignition is switched on, you'd see a glow plug light on the dash which stays lit until the glow plug turns off.

A lot of machines especially older ones you have to hold the switch between ignition on and start for a few seconds or even have a seperate button to work the heater plug. You will only get the 12 volts in this in between position it has no definitive click position but if you can't get the 12V you can do a continuity check on the switch itself, it wouldn't be unknown for the switch to have a fault only in this position due to the high current draw.

If the heater is at the top of the air intake manifold, you can remove the hose between it and the filter and you will see it if it is working.

Simple so,

Heater plug is connected to one of the large spades on the Lucas switch, test for power there when key is turned half way between ignition on and start you need to hold the key in the half way position to work, it should only have power in that position.

Or first remove the air intake hose and watch if the heater plug is working it will be obvious within a few seconds if it's working.

on a separate note I had a 698T that was hard to start in cold weather, heater plug worked, it had 2 good heavy duty 100Ah batteries and a new Lucas starter. I put a high speed starter in it and afterwards it would start in the coldest weather first tip with no heat and one battery.

The difference between original starter and high speed is unreal nothing else short of a full engine rebuild was going to improve the old tractors starting and afterwards it started like a new machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭selectamatic

A good 1000cca battery and good connections/leads will start anything that's in middlen order.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I checked the Flame Heater Glow Plug on my old tractor today and after leaving it on for about a minute you could feel the outside of it getting hot. An easy way to check if it working, without having to open it up.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

You have only ignition on and if keep turning you start her. Do you mean actually start her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

I have heard from an auto electrician that a high speed starter is not suitable for an tractor where there is ever the odd oil leak, diesel leak etc.

Doesnt stand up to it, any truth in it?

Advertisement